The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serpentine by Catherine Edmunds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy Pannett
The Stirred POeT 2012 winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Serpentine by Catherine Edmunds Reply with quote

I have just reviewed this on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serpentine-ebook/dp/B007R6M922/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334136589&sr=1-9

It's great - I couldn't stop reading the book, didn't want it to end. Smile
delph_ambi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2009

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks Mandy! Very Happy
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: bring it on! Reply with quote

... so Ms. delph ... do you realize that you described yourself as a Serpentine bureau, in the member profiles under The Welcome Mat ... back in July 2007 !!? Don't tell me you had this "hovering" in your head way back then?! Working my way through suggested books from that thread.
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."

Last edited by F.H.Lee on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
delph_ambi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly dare look back at that profile! But certainly, books take a long time to mature and I may well have started writing this one way back when.

As for adjectives: the usual advice is to avoid modifiers (adjectives and adverbs) when writing as far as you can. Try writing with none at all, and then introduce a few if you really can't think of a noun or a verb that could replace noun+adjective, or verb+adverb. Always makes for tighter writing if you can do this, but of course it shouldn't be followed slavishly.

The new e-versions of Serpentine should be out in a week or two, and the paperback will be available in a few months for those of you who prefer something you can safely read in the bath. Cool
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: good to know! Reply with quote

That was the first place I went (and non-fiction) to learn as much as I could about the writers in the forum. Not to be nosy but to fit in properly. Doug double dared me to participate and produce (polish will come later), diving into the depths with the Monday Flash etc - thus my read-a-thon in January. The book/movie/food section info makes me crave curry and I also want to know why you prefer Charlotte to Emily, and the lesser known Austen work (to me anyway). Don't tell me yet - let me read them first!!

Great advice about the adjectives/adverbs. I had picked that up during my Hemingway phase, but since he was a journalist first, it seemed to suit his lifestyle and personality. Not entirely sure where the line is within my own writing, but it will reveal itself in time.

I would never do your artwork the injustice of ordering an eCopy for my Kobo! Paperback it is Very Happy
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."

Last edited by F.H.Lee on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
delph_ambi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: good to know! Reply with quote

F.H.Lee wrote:
I would never do your artwork the injustice of ordering an eCopy for my Kobo! Paperback it is Very Happy

Excellent!

And if you can get yourself over to North-East England for the 11th July, you'll be able to see the original art work on display as I'll definitely be using it as a visual 'prop' for the Serpentine launch. Okay, it's probably a bit of a long trip, but I thought I'd ask. Wink
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: temptress! Reply with quote

oh how would i love to ... let me count the ways !!! shall raise a toast in your honour - likely cinzano though

Last edited by F.H.Lee on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
delph_ambi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I drank Cinzano was on a railway station in Bavaria about thirty years ago. Blimey! Takes me back, that.

I'm more of a red wine person these days, but you may toast the artwork in whatever beverage you wish. Cool
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: funny Reply with quote

funny huh ... songs and booze

Cinzano would represent me, pretending to be at 54+ deg N latitude, needing extra warmth. Fascinating combination of herbs, that Rosso, cheap & cheerful & no corkscrew required! Shall save a classier sassier "red" for my next exodus.

-fyi- Cinzano was founded in Turin, 45 deg N lat - that is my "equator" - if I am north of 45, dry vermouth it is, if south of 45, wine country!! With a Sicilian background, my preferred taste for leans to the north. Butter...

Last edited by F.H.Lee on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
delph_ambi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I love Sicilian red wine, as it happens, even living 55.5 deg North, as I do. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: