The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blah
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Writing Markets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delph_ambi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just because you don't pay doesn't mean it's not vanity."

Absolutely true. I've been published (in my young and innocent days) by Publish America, which is widely regarded by many as a vanity press on the grounds that they seek to make money out of their writers rather than for their writers. I wouldn't argue with that. I did, however, use them purely as they charge absolutely nothing to publish your book, unlike most vanity presses, and unless you're foolish enough to keep buying your books from them to sell on, you can actually use them as a perfectly good self-publisher. I've only made money out of them, not the reverse, but I fully accept many people make money for them.

So yes, I've been vanity published, but turned the tables and used it to my advantage. Maybe Sonnet has managed to get published without paying anybody to do it too, but having looked at his publisher's website, I'm not sure how he would manage. They charge fees. Publish America, for all their faults, don't. They try to make money out of you later on, and undeniably succeed with many writers, which is why they're so successful. Those of us who work the system with them, can also be successful. The novel I published with them has sold reasonably. My contract with them is up in a year or so, and a UK small press has expressed interest in taking up the rights to publish the novel as an e-book at that point. (I won't let Publish America publish it as an e-book as they would charge.)

As for shroomy, I'm not sure if he's been published by vanity presses or not. I would imagine he's used assisted publishing, but that's a different thing entirely. That's where the writer may make a contribution to a very small press in order to get the project going, but the press is then interested in selling the book to the general public in order to break even and to make back the author's and their own outlay; they are not interested in making money purely out of the author, unlike vanity presses.

As to the main body of this thread, my remarks were carefully researched. shroomy's deletions say more than his comments ever could. Smile
shroomy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is ridiculous--I mentioned Sonnet Mondal to a random non-poet from Bangladesh and he knew who he was. Sonnet is from West Bengal. Clearly the guy has *some* reputation...
eric_never
TWI Poet of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: let his poetry speak Reply with quote

shroomy wrote:
This thread is ridiculous--I mentioned Sonnet Mondal to a random non-poet from Bangladesh and he knew who he was. Sonnet is from West Bengal. Clearly the guy has *some* reputation...

Kinda like the way I pretend to know all about Japanese “talents” and historical figures, right?

Anyway, let his poetry speak for him. Delph posted one on the first page of this thread.

Peace Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Writing Markets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: