The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome, Ernie Wells!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Welcome, Ernie Wells! Reply with quote

Welcome to TWI, Ernie Smile

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Ernie Wells

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Afternoon,

I'm Ernie Wells, retired from the 8 to 5, and have been writing for a couple of years off and on, more off than on. I was a Government Researcher, and a Aerospace worker. I now live the quite life in Kentucky. I have always been a terrible writer in my misspent youth. I have vowed to learn to write better (a vial threat not to die) before I have my encounter with the health food truck and a short curb. I've learned to listen and learn, and hopefully that will hold me in good stead with all of the ladies and gentlemen of the Writers Beat. It will be slow going until I can grasp the technical language and become competent in handling the computer and system. So far it is touch and see what happens approach. About the only writing skill I have is knowing how to type, thank god you can't see the white out. I've had to buy new monitors since we have change from hard glass to LCDs. I need more than most when it come to navigating around this thread business. I think I will do okay as long as the system will tell me what to do, my wife has me will trained so it shouldn't take to long. I have been involved in photo retouch and document recovery in support of my wife's genealogy endeavors. I'm open to any and assistance with the system and writing. I'm not sure if I should critique other work, or post (first I'm going to have to learn how to do both). Is it possible to receive an evaluation of my writing so that I will know where I'm and where I have to go to get better. (now what?)
Ernie Wells
delph_ambi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ernie, and welcome Smile

Spend some time browsing the forum and then just jump in wherever you like. Have fun!
GESSEJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Ernie Wells

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: thank you for the first rate and warm welcome Reply with quote

It is nice to have folks who look your way when you are new. I appreciate it will do the same. I will take my time, as recommended, before I go fishing.

Ernie Wells
DonnaG
Co-Admin, Creator of Order

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, Ernie. Smile
Ernie Wells

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Feeling Welcome Reply with quote

I'm impressed, first off this group is from our neighbors from the North. My mother is a first Generation American, her mother was from Canada and so are many of my family today. Being a genealogist along side my wife, is part of my writing experience. I like what I've read, yet some what apprehensive about the mechanics of the system. I'm not clever or cute with my writing, more emotional than clever. I'm hope that you will or maybe the others will not spare the rod of critique and spoil the read. Writing is the last creative art, even the artist are finding the computer is better at it than they are, especially where time is involved. I retouch photos and documents as a small business, which was driven by the genealogy. I do a great deal of research on a contract bases, such as finding members of estates, and so on to find people who have lost their way, and now they've lost their families. These endeavors have given me the insights to creating Fictional stories and some lite poetry.

Ernie Wells
flirtybee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched a bunch of genealogy myself, Ernie, when I was back in the UK. There's all sorts of stuff in those records, eh?

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Ernie Wells

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Good Afternoon, here Reply with quote

Most of my relatives, the Lichty's are Mennonites, and Quakers the come from France and Germany. The Nelson's were Mormons and the Wells, were whatever was convenient depending on who was knocking on the door. I have served with members of Canadian Ground force, here in the states. The mennonites and Quakers (old folks) would criss cross the border since before the civil war. I had the opportunity to work with RCMP in tracking down a group of folks who ran a Kibbutz in Smithville, right across from upstate NY. Which is, in part, part of my current endeavor, which is like most of what I write. Go like hell and slow down to a snail's pace during the editing phase. I'm looking for some guidance about putting this into some usable form and have a couple of wizards look at and give me what they think. Is that possible here at the Write Idea.

Ernie Wells
ermyntrude
THE STIRRED POeT 2010 winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Ernie Very Happy
Ernie Wells

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

I'm a fiction writer, or trying to be. I'm try small stories to begin with and work up to the two or three pages, looking forward to your comments.

Ernie Wells
flirtybee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good plan, Ernie.

I'd suggest the Monday Flash for starters (250 words, trickier than you think) and maybe the Monthly Mille (1000 to 2500 words).

There are a bunch of tips/exercises down in Donna's Flash Fiction Workshop that may make good starting points.

Plus there are a bunch of people that will offer advice etc if you post under the 'Short Stories' thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: