The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently got my nose in ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveyAbram

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Kindle for Christmas and have managed to lose it already (left it at a friend's house and they chucked it out with the papers (we think)) - I'm trying to work up to buying another one... Crying or Very sad

I was on a Mark Twain jag at the time I got it and downloaded loads of free essays'n'stuff - brilliant! Do you think the 3G version's worth the extra dosh? Mine was the cheap version.

BTW, I've just started Nicholls's The Understudy - ok so far.
Smile
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveyAbram wrote:
I got a Kindle for Christmas and have managed to lose it already (left it at a friend's house and they chucked it out with the papers (we think)) - I'm trying to work up to buying another one... Crying or Very sad

I was on a Mark Twain jag at the time I got it and downloaded loads of free essays'n'stuff - brilliant! Do you think the 3G version's worth the extra dosh? Mine was the cheap version.

BTW, I've just started Nicholls's The Understudy - ok so far.
Smile

I am ressurecting this thread.
I also got a Kindle for Christmas and I like it but not as much as a real book. Mind you, getting stuff for free is very nice indeed. I find it all a bit tempting, logging onto Amazon, just for a look, and then buying loads. It's too easy!
Anyway this year so far I haven't read anything very heavy. The Real Me Is Thin by Arabella Weir and that one about camping in France by someone else off the telly. I have dipped in and out of Fanny Hill (see what I did there?) and also read Stephen King's On Writing.
I keep picking up The Understudy and putting it down again. I loved One Day and am a bit worried that it might not live up to that.
I am currently reading another writing book and a book about London. I have about forty books on the Kindle, at least they are not taking up space like the other hundreds of books I have yet to read.
mummymunt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Lots! Reply with quote

I'm currently listening to Desperate Passage (about the Donner party) which is already depressing and they're not even stuck yet, and Lisey's Story (Stephen King) which I'm not far into but seems good.
On my Kindle I'm reading Ghost Road Blues (Jonathan Maberry), which I've read before but loved heaps.
As for actual, paper books, I'm reading The Dark Half (Stephen King) which I tried to read years ago but couldn't get into. Loving it this time. Also about halfway through Manitou Blood (Graham Masterton), which isn't bad, either. My 'toilet book' (what I read in the loo) is a book of true ghost stories whose name I can't remember at the moment. I've read it before and it's fun.
If you can't already tell, horror is my thing Smile
Missy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the new Anne Tyler. That woman is a flipping genius in my book.
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: classics Reply with quote

Oh dear. This thread will take me ages to get through, but it is on my 2DO list for 2014! Always interested in (un)popular opinion. Not reading much new literature, since my Kobo came with 100 free classics:
* just finished: The Man Who Knew Too Much (G.K.Chesterton)
* currently reading: The Age of Innocence (Edith Wharton)
* on the cusp: Three Novellas by Leo Tolstoy ... a paperback bought on my last romp in Stratford Festival's gift shop; done Family Happiness, but the other two are waiting patiently - A Landowner's Morning, The Devil (new translations done in 2009, for this 2010 publication; 200 pages total)
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."

Last edited by F.H.Lee on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thewobblydickle
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your resurrection of this thread inspired me to have a swifty whizz through and I quote myself from one of the early pages:

"He's beginning to irritate me, Alan. I was so looking forward to reading The Da Vinci Code, but as I progress, so my annoyance grows.

Okay, the bloke obviously did stacks of research for the book, but he seems to have included every last snippet of it. Take out the unnecessary detail and the book will be half the length. It keeps taking me out of the story. I'm just getting into some scene, and suddenly the author cuts in to tell me stuff along the lines of what time the blokes who built the Louvre stopped for their toilet break.

And why does he insist on establishing exactly the same fact three times within a couple of pages? Does he think we're too thick to twig the first time? I'm not talking about major plot twists or cunning codes here. It's things like the woman's eye colour. Okay, they're green. End of story, surely.

It's a shame, because I'm a hundred odd pages in and actually quite enjoying the tale. It's just the telling that needs sorting."

I am currently reading Inferno, which is Brown's latest offering. It's not something I would ever have bothered with if it wasn't for my wife saying how much it made her want to go back to Florence.

And just the other evening I was giving her my thoughts on it and they were more or less exactly the same as those I've just found in my self-quote!

Note to self: Some things never change. Simply, DO NOT ever, ever read another Dan Brown book. Laughing
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: whew Reply with quote

Gee, thanks for the warning. None of his stuff has hit my desk yet. Tried to watch the movie (DVC) but fell asleep before halfway through Sad

Had the opposite effect from Mr. Chesterton - with little interest in politics or dead bodies, by the end of the 2nd chapter he had me hooked - flew through to the end in record time! Great writing style and clarity. Fun too.
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: book relay Reply with quote

Tracking my reading helps eliminate overlap or repeats, and exposes time lags. Without the input, there is no output. Forgive me if these posts get annoying, but it is an easy way to sort out a year's progress. Lots of book reviews to submit...

* just finished:
The Age of Innocence (Edith Wharton) &
Tolstoy's Three Novellas (A Landowner's Morning, The Devil, Family Happiness)
... thoroughly enjoyed them - frothy but tight social circles of NYC, followed by Russian peasants - fun 1800s contrast

* currently reading:
The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak (a novel of Catherine the Great)
... an epic investment at almost 500pgs, borrowed from the library so at least there is a due date! also wanted to get it done because her follow up novel called Empress of the Night will be released Mar2014) - need pillows to prop the book up!

* on the cusp: Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

Tried to start selected essays by Emerson on my Kobo, but found it flat. Will try again later. He may be too cerebral for me, but want to stretch myself with varied reading this year.
delph_ambi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently re-reading Virginia Woolf's 'To the Lighthouse'.

Love, love, love this novel.
womble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Poetry Toolkit - hence my reignited interest in poetry outside of Chaucer.

W Razz

Read my top five story from the National newpaper's annual short story competition:
http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/short-story-a-day-for-decisiveness
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: book trail Reply with quote

Oh Cathy. You just reminded me to find Villette ... somehow lost track after reading Shirley last autumn. Have never opened a work by Woolf. Good huh? Embarassed And Paul. Your study habits are exhausting! Hard to keep up with Smile Once a scholar, always a scholar. I can study it, but it never stays in there very long. Gets pushed aside by life.

Anyhoo ...

* just finished: The Winter Palace (Stachniak) and also breezed through Atwood's Surfacing (1972)
* currently reading: Dostoevsky's The Idiot (amazing, epilepsy in the 1800s)
* on the cusp: Atwood's Alias Grace (over 500pgs ugh; won the 1996 Giller prize, for top CanLit fiction novel)

Tried Emerson again, failed. Will keep at it.
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: book trail Reply with quote

Got sidetracked. Pushed aside The Idiot (loooong & dreary, but timely with Russia hosting Olympics) for DHLawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Just needed the feel of a real book in my hands after juggling the Kobo. Nothing like marking progress with each turn of a page. Then borrowed a library copy of Dorian Gray starring Colin Firth, 2009. Yikes! Shocked

Now back to Dostoevsky, then Atwood. Unearthed two others; Anne Bronte's 2nd novel, and Thomas Hardy's FFTMC. In time.

Last edited by F.H.Lee on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Missy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed. I just went back to the start of this thread and realised it was ten years ago. My eight year old Angelina Ballerina fan is now an apprentice hairdresser in Vidal Sassoon in Covent Garden and the year 7 who only read Jacqueline Wilson is now 21 and a legal secretary in Chancery Lane.
Dear god doesn't time go fast?
Alan
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dear god doesn't time go fast?

Oh, yus. Shocked
Rache

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time has flown so to speak......and I remember a post saying I would never submit to electronic reading, and yet I do. I still like my books, but the E thing is nudging a way into my life.

rache_c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 41 of 42

Jump to: