The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently got my nose in ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonnaG
Co-Admin, Creator of Order

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveyAbram wrote:
Quote:
WHAT IS?

Post subject: Re: The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Try looking in the subject line, blondie... Cool

*innocently flips blonde hair away from eyes*

Oh.

thank you

Rolling Eyes
DaveyAbram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
didn't really get all the excitement about The Road. i mean, it's a scenario i've seen played out in numerous 50s/60s/70s films.

It's true that The Road is a post-disaster story, but it would be a mistake to regard this book as another version of The Stand, or Day of the Triffids, or On the Beach.

It's not about the plot - it's the treatment of the subject matter and the quality of the language that won McCarthy the Pulitzer prize, and deservedly so, at least in my view. Here's a sample:

"From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theatre with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar folds of the drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your dark and your cold and be damned."

And I haven't come across a post-apocalypse novel that is quite so bleak, and so likely to be accurate. For McCarthy's protagonists there's no chance they will come across a band of benevolent survivors who have managed to get the power running again and are living a simple but fulfilling life in an old manor house.

In The Road, the world has come much further than that. The disaster - never explained - has been so devastating that there are no birds, no animals, no crops in the fields, and the likelihood is that anyone you meet will try to kill and eat you. There will be no recovery, no return to normality for the world McCarthy writes about.

On another level, McCarthy examines the relationship between father and son in a situation where there is nothing to do but try to survive for a little longer. He looks at how people stay human when living the life of an animal.

Oh, and the ending made me cry.

Last edited by DaveyAbram on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveyAbram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Alas, something I can only dream about... Sad
Connal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put it well Davey. This book will stay with me forever. I didn't want to start it and then couldn't not finish it. I can't say I enjoyed reading it. Definitely not. But would I have missed it? I don't know. All I can say is I would not have missed it. This is writing like nothing else I have read and way superior to his No Country for Old Men. It still haunts me. The book is on my shelf and when I open the cover to check why I found it so profoundly moving I feel the cold coming from the pages. The last one that got me like this was Wild Palms. I'll get back to you in a few years when I've digested this one.
DaveyAbram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, Connal.

I haven't heard of Wild Palms - who's it by?
Connal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of Faulkner's. I recommend it hugely.
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveyAbram wrote:
Quote:

Alas, something I can only dream about... Sad

you could always grow the beard a little longer Davey ... Wink

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the AS Byatt debacle I have read, Nella Last's War and Nella Last's Peace, The Guernsey Potato Pie thing which was very thin and not bad but a bit cheesy. Her Perfect Symmetry by Audrey Niffeneger, not a patch on Time Travelers Wife, the new one by David Nicholls which was so good I can't remember what it was called, I loved it, The Silver Linings Play Book, very charming and I really liked it, The Daughter Game by Kate Long, good except for the ending which was wank and a bit of a cop out in my opinion. The new Marian Keyes and Lisa Jewell, I like a bit of chick lit sometimes for a breather and these two are my favourite writers in that genre. Mudbound by Hilary Something or other and that was very good indeed, much better than I expected. Good story and great characters, quite atmospheric.
Am now reading The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville who I discovered whilst on holiday last year and like a lot. Good read. I'm enjoying it.
I am a very good reader and wonder if I should take this up instead of writing.
DonnaG
Co-Admin, Creator of Order

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished reading Lionel Shriver's novel "We Need to Talk About Kevin". I am still trembling. It is the most powerful modern-day book I've ever read. And I do not know how Ms Shriver survived emotionally while writing the book.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2340472610792567962#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD3SytWD8cU
fall guy
TWI Fiction Writer of the Year 2009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missy wrote:

I am a very good reader and wonder if I should take this up instead of writing.

it's a darn sight easier.

i've got my nose in ovid, pseudo-apollodurus and a book on orpheus.
chungle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading Neal Cassady's "The First Third" in between various books on chakras and reiki.
DaveyAbram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: David Nicholls Reply with quote

'One Day' and 'Starter for Ten' are both worth a look... Smile
Shannon's Auntie
TWIt Booster & Quiz Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read both of those. Thought initially that both were great but "churned" fiction - as in stuff they just churn out for cash. Then both were celebrated for being literary. Way to go. Maybe it's because they're written by a bloke?

I'm working my way speedily through A Song of Ice and Fire. Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic/Showtime etc is based on Book One. I'm now beginning the second part of Book Three.

It's sword & sorcery with lots of sex and it's fab. Too many battles for my liking, but generally you can speed read those. What I love is that the author is not afraid to make you love the baddies (Tyrion) and kill the heroes (no spoiler here).

All in all a great escape.
DaveyAbram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're definitely not 'literary', but as you suggest, they're very readable. I have to say that I thought the author made a much better job of his male characters than the female ones, don't know if you agree...

For some reason I didn't realise the Game of Thrones thing was originally a book, and I was cross because I haven't got that channel. I'm always up for a bit of quasi-medieval action, me... Smile
Shannon's Auntie
TWIt Booster & Quiz Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it's because he's a bloke...?

There are ways of getting episodes if you don't have the channel. I don't countenance these methods but the internet has its ways.

However, the books are fabulous and the show is as faithful a representation as you can find. When I read the first book I skipped a lot because they had been in the TV series.

I have a Kindle and downloaded all the books very cheaply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 40 of 42

Jump to: