The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently got my nose in ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thewobblydickle
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caroline,

Life of Pi, I thought was excellent
Gruffalo's Child, a bit of a let down
Loved Across the Nightingale Floor, thought the next one not so good. May not bother with the final one, given your comment. Aren't they supposed to be these 'crossover' thingys rather than just for teens?
Caroline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thewobblydickle wrote:
Hi Caroline,

Loved Across the Nightingale Floor, thought the next one not so good. May not bother with the final one, given your comment. Aren't they supposed to be these 'crossover' thingys rather than just for teens?

Yes it is supposed to be crossover but give me Philip Pullman anytime
Carol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't that impressed with Philip Pullman. I've read them twice now and can't really see what all the fuss is about.

Carol
Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two books I have recently read are ‘If Nobody speaks of Remarkable Things’ by Jon McGregor and ‘Year of Wonders’ by Geraldine Brooks – I really enjoyed both of them although they are very different. Over Christmas I was reading ‘Play to the End’ by Robert Goddard which I picked up for £2 from the second hand bookstall on Ashbourne market, same format as usual but not half as good as some of his earlier ones. For Christmas presents I received ‘According to Queeney’ by Beryl Bainbridge and ‘Fleshmarket Close’ by Ian Rankin. Have just started the Rankin and so far so good.
Nellibert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a chance take a look at "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foe. It is like nothing you have read before. Stunning.
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to come back to this thread with a pencil and a lump of paper. Too many to remember.
Caroline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am too absolutely small for school by Lauren Child - brilliant. At last a children's book I can read night after night after

Works best if you have one school age child and a younger one who is not quite ready for school yet.

Best bits "I don't need to learn up to one hudred. I already know up to ten and I never eat more than tne biscuits in one go. ten is enough."

and the crocodile/alligator scene

and Soren Lorensen - the invisible friend
Solo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just opened 'The shadow of the wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and am about to embark on a passionate love affair ... er, with the book that is. Wink

Yep, got sucked in by (dare I say it?) Richard and Judy and make no apologies for falling head over heels from the first page. If the rest lives up to it, this will be an unforgettable romance! Very Happy
Caroline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
Just opened 'The shadow of the wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and am about to embark on a passionate love affair ... er, with the book that is. Wink

So that's why Sean refused to be separated from the book last weekend. hasn't had any time to red it ths week though.

Caroline

Ps I'm struggling with the Life of Pi
Solo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ps I'm struggling with the Life of Pi

I haven't read it myself but have heard mixed reviews - for example, daughter aged almost 22 thought it was great, but fella aged much older couldn't get on with it at all (although did stick it out until the end because he doesn't believe in giving up!)
Missy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trainspotting.

I never got round to this years ago, but bought it last week, (and loads of others).

I wish I could write like this.

I'm not even struggling with the Scottish accent, my brain is sort of taking over and I just know what they're saying.
Can't read it when I'm eating breakfast or lunch though, they are my normal reading times. Up to your elbows in toilet water doesn't go very well with a toasted banana sandwich does it?

Read the new Maggie O'Farrell over the weekend. Quite good, little bit predictable, but still ok. Cried a bit, which is quite a good sign. I quite like her books but they are a bit depressing, sometimes you need a laugh don't you? Not as depressing as that Anita Shreve woman though. Read one, and won't be reading any more.

Missy
Missy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trainspotting again.

One of the funniest books I have ever read. Last night I was in hysterics whilst cooking the dinner, and then kept breaking out into giggles for about an hour after putting the book down. Even the titlles of the chapters are making me laugh.
Great book. Will definitely be in my all time top ten, very near the top.
Lew
General Secretary of the Short Story

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missy wrote:
Trainspotting again.

One of the funniest books I have ever read. Last night I was in hysterics whilst cooking the dinner, and then kept breaking out into giggles for about an hour after putting the book down. Even the titlles of the chapters are making me laugh.
Great book. Will definitely be in my all time top ten, very near the top.

It is truly awesome and I must admit to it being firmly at no.1 for me.
Missy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to read it slow, because I don't want to finish it.
Had another laughing fit tonight, a loud one, when Rents is dancing with his mum in the club to Neil Diamond, and then realises it's a medley. Brilliant.
Missy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Trainspotting. I can't wait to get down the shops now and see what else he's written. I will be thinking about that book for a long time, and reading it again too. Great stuff.
Don't know what to read now, everything else looks a bit boring. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 2 of 42

Jump to: