The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently got my nose in ...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Currently got my nose in ... Reply with quote

What are you reading right now and what do you think of it?

I finished the final page of the 'Curious incident of the dog in the night-time' by Mark Haddon, this evening. It's a very straightforward read, but it's taken me ages to finish as I kept getting distracted. Took a wee while to really capture my imagination with the storyline, but once hooked, I found it an interesting read. I worked with a young boy who had Asberger's syndrome for a couple of years and the book gave me a real insight and loads of 'ah, now I see!' moments. I thought it was well worth the read from that perspective, but also because it was such an original approach to a story.

If scoring based on my own absorption with this book, I think I'd go for a 7/10. Very Happy
GaryH
TWIt Booster & Knight of TWIt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading Daughter of Regals by Stephen Donaldson. It's a selection of short-stories and some of them aren't too bad. He has a great sense of description but one of the stories seemed to mimic orcs (called ur-viles) and being stuck in a deep forest which did seem a bit cliched to me. Still he sold loads so what do I know? I've still got a few stories to go in it and he did a very whimsical piece about a man turning into a unicorn!
Gary

Did I really write this...Oh dear!!!!
Lew
General Secretary of the Short Story

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought The Mystic Masseur by VS Naipaul.

Can't tell you much beyond that as I've only read page one, although he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2001 so I'm expecting good things.
Thewobblydickle
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Mark Haddon's book was rather good. I, too, thought is was a straightforward read but decided it probably couldn't be any different.

Just finished Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. I think it won some award for best new sci-fi novel or something. Plenty of rather convincing clever stuff (or speculative science, as the sci-fi chaps call it), and I enjoyed the read, but ultimately thought the plot was rather ordinary.

Just started Wormwood by GP Taylor. A children's book - those of us who like writing for children, read children's books to keep in touch with current trends, he said rather poncily. It's shaping up rather well but have already found two irritating continuity errors.
Lew
General Secretary of the Short Story

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thewobblydickle wrote:
Just started Wormwood by GP Taylor. A children's book - those of us who like writing for children, read children's books to keep in touch with current trends, he said rather poncily. It's shaping up rather well but have already found two irritating continuity errors.

If I have to read about Katie 'flippin' Morag one more time I'll scream !!!
Solo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving 'Girl with a pearl earring' by Tracey Chevalier a whirl ... but I keep nodding off and having to reread my paragraph. I think I'm yearning for a good 'ol fashioned thriller, full to bursting with passionate intrigue, drama and fast-moving pace, rather than this so far, rather gentle historical tale.

I might have to take a break and return to it when the summer arrives and I can sit in my deckchair listening to birdsong while I read in the garden.
Helen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started 'Driving over Lemons' by Chris-I-can't-be-bothered-to-go-into-the-bedroom-and-look-at-his-surname.

Its subtitle is something like 'what happened when I went to live in the back of beyond in Andalucia'

So far, I'm enjoying it. Very Happy

http://ryangoslingteachingassistant.blogspot.com
Caroline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew wrote:

If I have to read about Katie 'flippin' Morag one more time I'll scream !!!

Katie Morag - I should be so lucky. It's Bob the Builder I can't stand. I'd rather have my finger nails pulled out.
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read The Jane Austen Book Club, rather pants in my opinion. Started The Time Travellers Wife last night. Like it very much already.
Has anyone read Vernon God Little?
Angelina Ballerina reigns in this house, but luckily my 8 year old reads brilliantly, so is left to get on with it. I do like her though, she's a very talented rodent, and my daughter has asked if while I'm doing this writing lark, could I possibly knock an Angelina book out please.
WelshPixie
Flashmeister & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished four Roal Dahl books from a box set my mum got me for my birthday. Boy, Switch Bitch, Over To You and Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life.

His adult work is just as good as his children's work - his writing is phenomenal. And he grew up in and around Cardiff - a good omen? O.o

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Solo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've just started 'Driving over Lemons' by Chris-I-can't-be-bothered-to-go-into-the-bedroom-and-look-at-his-surname.

Its subtitle is something like 'what happened when I went to live in the back of beyond in Andalucia'

So far, I'm enjoying it.

I read that too Helen - yep, you guessed, some of my summertime deckchair reading! I really enjoyed it.
Thewobblydickle
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Missy,

Loved Vernon God Little.
Found it very funny.
Very frustrating at times though.

Rob
Kasha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman at the mo, and I've also just started reading Lion of Macedon (David gemmell) I usually have a couple of books on the go at once, so I can pick a book to suit my mood. Both books were reccomendations by my hubby. I am enjoying American Gods very much, though it's one I've had to concenrate on.
As far as Lion of Macedon, this is the second Gemmell book I've attempted to read now so i'm crossing my fingers it won't end up back on the shelf at the end of chapter 1 (note I haven't actually got to the end of chapter one yet so thats not a good start really!)

Kasha
Carol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am reading High Lord by Trudi Canavan which is the last book in the trilogy. The first was alright, the second a bit predictable, this one is getting better.

Just finished Michael Buerk's autobiography which was very good.

Next up - War of the Flowers by Tad Williams.

Carol
Caroline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - a novel about growing up in Afghanistan just before the Russians invaded. Enjoying it but not finding it as un-put-downable as Sean did.

Just finished Brilliance of the Moon - final part of the Across the Nightingale Floor Trilogy. This is fantasy though without dragons or orcs. I think you're supposed to be a teenager to read it but... The first book was wonderful and well worth reading - sadly it has been downhill since then. Still can't quite believe the way the author copped out in the final book. Now if I was writing it...

Have Vernon God Little and Curious Incident in the pile of books beside the bed. Also Life of Pi, A gathering light, War and Peace, the Gruffalo's child, Toast etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 1 of 42

Jump to: