The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Effie
TWI Forum Member of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Writing Reply with quote

We've had religion, patriotism, music, politics -

what about the writing?

Apart for the current poetry competition, weekly flash, and the odd piece here and there - where's the writing?

I don't want constant debate on a writing site - I'd rather debate writing. There's a place for that, especially on a philosophy forum, but this is a writing forum, isn't it?
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is that, Effie Very Happy

But ... I think the philosophical may be interesting in some ways, as it may give you some underlying ideas for characters perhaps. Just an idea though, I think a lot of those topics are an each to their own sorta thing.

On writing, well, there's novels (51k into latest), the flashes, the upcoming Whittaker ( I think I'm going to try and fit a few shorts in alongside the comp again, just for a break from novels), and today I tried something a little different.

I wrote a possible advertising idea for Ikea.

I'm enjoying the Stirred POeT with out actually getting really into my poetry, except for maybe the last round.

And I should ... but don't ... sub anything much!

So ... what do you want to talk about?

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Afon Rheidol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Writing Reply with quote

Hi Effie,

>E> We've had religion, patriotism, music, politics - what about the writing?

Ooh heck! Could be dangerous... examining our own navals... wrier's angst etc...

>E> Apart for the current poetry competition, weekly flash, and the odd piece here and there - where's the writing?
>E> I don't want constant debate on a writing site - I'd rather debate writing. There's a place for that, especially on a philosophy forum, but this is a writing forum, isn't it?

I think that may assume such debate and writing are mutually exclusive; they are not - quite the contrary. Debates are expressed in writing and I think help one to hone one's factual writing (for me, factual writing is as important as my poetry or fiction).

Moreover, much of debate relates to what I write about in my other writing. Religion, for example - I write poetry about it and it has a particular place in my current novel. So it is all grist to one's writing mill.

Besides, if one is disinterested in debating other items, one can ignore those. With the exception of haiku, I am disinterested in other poetic forms - so I do not join those postings.

So writing... what aspects would you wish to discuss? Or was it simply a plea for more writing? If the latter, for myself: I never post a large proportion of my work on crit boards. Nor do I write massive amounts. For example, the last entry to the Poetry competition took me several hours, over many days to write. So I think it is a matter of aiming for quality (even if failing to achieve it!) rather than quantity.

Where am I now?

eek! (hate this self-evaluating)...

Novel progressing after a long period of dormancy. (This is my No1 project).
Comedy sketches with writing partner.
Comedy sit-com with writing partner.
Improve submitting work.
Poetry competition.
Forthcoming Whittaker Prize (Both channels).
Forthcoming Bridgeport (Reading judges' reports etc now).
Reading Russell T Davies' book about writing Dr Who (I am a very slow reader).
Occasional, Individual poems.
Intermittent series of articles on the current economic conditions.

Then there is my photo-art and painting. And housework. And dog walks. And hospital / Drs appointments (ugh!). And the garden and house. However did I go out to work?

No wonder debate is such a great release (constitutes some of the only conversations I have in a week).

Luckily, this is our week off, so have time to chat more Smile

Cheers, AR.
chungle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the debates help relieve the nagging pressure of the competition, personally. It's nice to let your mind wander into other topics so that you can go back to the work at hand in a fresh frame of mind.
Snow White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take all of me into everything I do whether it's writing or work or anything else. I don't usually chat much on the forums but I do if it's a subject that interests me (but not if a care a lot about it, paradoxically).

I find it difficult to separate writing from anything else and all sorts of beliefs and experiences contribute to what I write, whether I know it or not, so it's all part of the same thing whether I'm thinking, debating, or writing.

When I'm going to write I just sit down and write a sentence and the rest just sort of appears. I rarely know where it's going until I get there and to be honest it's much the same when I'm talking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: