The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome Deira
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Cryer
TWIt Booster & King of Puns

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know about the Civil War thing. That sounds great. I don't mind about liberties. Fiction is fiction. John Simm is one of my all time faves. When he was treading the boards in Lodnod, we never quite made it, but anything he's in is worth watching.

Off to tell wifey about the insider Civil War knowledge now.

Ta Deira. See you around.
Deira

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiction is indeed fiction. Those writing it well know it. But when teachers, historians, etc., get fiction being quoted to them by innocent readers as history it all gets rather hard going - as I well know with the King Arthur business, which has a long history of fiction all its very own Rolling Eyes Still, if it gets 'em interested in history, it's bearable Very Happy

In Dera Wuda
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arthurian story saga is indeed a story all of its own (curses on French romanticists and Glastonbury monks/tombstone carvers) and one of my fave areas of dabbling in history. You just got to love the Dark Ages, fascinating period after the Romans took off. (ah for Viroconium, sigh) Still, that'll probably be the second or third novel series, I gotta finish the psychopathic one first!

Nice to know we have similar interests Deira!

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Deira

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but did all the Romans take off, Flirty Bee? Twisted Evil

You could do a psychopathic Dark Age series!

There's a new Arthurian Mystery book series by Tony Hays (http://www.tonyhays.com/news.html) soon, so I'll be interested to read that. The field's now very crowded with various takes on the Dark Age Arthur, so fortunately other stories are starting to be told. Just as well, as that's what I have mind ...

In Dera Wuda
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dabbled ages ago and have yet to take it past chapter four or so, but I did do an awful lot of research after writing this ;

http://www.helenwhittaker.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=804

I think a lot of the romans went, but not all ... I think 'the white city' of viroconium stood for a couple of hundred years.

Always amazes me that the third largest city in Britains Roman times still lies buried under shropshire fields, my god what a tourist trap that could be if excavated properly. Its not even got the inconvenience of a city built on top of it!

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Dave Cryer
TWIt Booster & King of Puns

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deira & Flirty,

I can recommend Philip Reeve's Here Lies Arthur which has recently won the Carnegie medal. It's a children's book in theory, but is just one of those tales that has universal appeal. I won't spoil it, but in an area of fiction that's been done and done again, Reeve came up with a unique new take on it all. In my workshops around schools, it was a real winner with a wide range of pupils as well as the librarians & teachers. It wasn't quite in my comfort zone as a reader, but I still loved it.

A tangiential bizarre happenstance - the van that delivered our new kitchen worktop this morning had 'Deira' written on the side of it.
Deira

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read Reeves' Here lies Arthur, and it's one of the best Arthurian tales I've read for ages (and I've read a lot - too many, may be)

Ah, Dave, I see you're in Huddersfield - an easy trip from Deira ...

In Dera Wuda
Deira

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fliry - I will take a look at your story Very Happy

In Dera Wuda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: