The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Member Profiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eilidh Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker - Eilidh Thomas

Real name - Which one?

Age - Old enough to have enjoyed the seventies.

Occupation - Started off as a librarian. Textile artist for pleasure (presently in remission). Various small business adventures. Currently keeper of books in the family business.

Location - Moray Scotland

What do you write? – short stories, poems

What are your current writing goals? – to write more and maybe even a novel

When and why did you start writing? – in my head forever – on paper age fifteen

What's your best piece of writing advice? – write for yourself – if you don’t like it neither will anyone else

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? – solar powered laptop with internet, drawing/ painting materials, family photographs

What are your Top 5 (sorry more than 5 in some categories) Favourite:
Films – The Cat People/ Avatar/ Dr Strangelove/ Pans Labyrinth/ The Piano/ The Lives of Others/ Picnic at Hanging Rock/ Chocolat/ The Draftsman’s Contract
Books – Alias Grace by Margaret Attwood/ The Inhabited Woman by Gioconda Belli/ Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt/ The Dark Twin by Marion Campbell/ Under the Skin by Michel Faber/ Poor Things by Alistair Gray/ Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbons/ The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch/ Cold Skin by Albert Sanchez Pinol/ Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Zafon
Foods – Scottish strawberries/ new potatoes/ champagne/ fresh salad/ homemade chicken soup
Places – North Uist/ Orkney/ old European cities/ Savannah, Georgia/ walks in the Scottish countryside

Which is most like you?
a) animal – hummingbird
b) plant – heather
c) piece of furniture – fireplace
d) piece of clothing – denim skirt & red shoes
Valkyrie
THE STIRRED POeT 2011 winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: Valkyrie

What do you write: Short stories, a little poetry

Current writing goals: To get a good body of work in my portfolio and to submit more stuff for (possible) publication. Also, I have a semi-autobiographical novel in preparation (which shows signs of turning into a trilogy!)

When and why did you start: Angst-ridden poetry at school, being my only successful mode of communication at the time.

Best piece of advice: I wouldn’t presume to advise anyone else. We all come from different places and have different methods and goals.

Three desert island luxuries: laptop and broadband; a machine for making decent cappuccino; a bottle of Cragganmore whisky

Films: Witness; Faraway So Close (Wim Wenders); A Beautiful Mind; Slumdog Millionaire.

Books: An angel at my table (Janet Frame autobiography); Electric Brae (Andrew Greig); His Dark Materials trilogy (Philip Pullman); Cosmic Trilogy (C.S. Lewis); anything by Salley Vickers.

Foods: not a foodie really, but I prefer decent local ingredients simply prepared. Oh yes, and champagne.

Places: Luskentyre (West Harris); Annapurna foothills (Nepal); Venice. But actually I am happy where I live.

Animal: some sort of faithful hound
Plant: ? one of those wind-blown rowan trees just about clinging on to life.
Furniture: something practical like a three-legged stool
Clothing: ditto, a fleece jacket?
Eilidh Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gill - Cragganmore and a Champagne chaser? Maybe not, but excellent tipples. I like your book and film choices too. Eilidh
LAnthony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker
LAnthony
Real name
Lance Heard
Occupation
College Professor
What do you write?
Mystery
What are your current writing goals?
To write and publish my first novel
When and why did you start writing?
I started writing a few years ago in a fiction writers workshop
What's your best piece of writing advice?
Write and re-write practice makes perfect.
What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island?
A yacht. Every episode of Gilligan's Island. A deep well drill.
What are your Top 5 Favourite:
Films
1. Blade Runner. 2. The Thomas Crown Affair (99). 3. St. Elmo's Fire. 4. Raiders of the Lost Ark. 5. Tootsie
Books
1) Lord of the Rings 2) The Shack 3) The Time Travelers Wife 4) Up Country 5) Planet of the Apes
Foods
1) Hershey's chocolate 2) Bacon and egg sandwich 3) crab and egg sandwich 4) egg salad sandwich 5) Anything as long is it doesn't have any eggs in it!
Places?
1. Down stage and to the left 2. Bed 3. Work 4. terra firma 5. Beside my sweetheart
(the above list not necessarily in order of preference)
Which
a) animal
b) plant
c) piece of furniture
and d) piece of clothing
is most like you?
B) crab grass
Sentosa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker
Sentosa

Real name
Ray Walsh

Occupation
Retired now. Have been: school teacher; university and college lecturer; computer consultant; university librarian; salesman; business proprietor

Armadale, Western Australia -- there are at least 2 other Armidales/Armadale in Oz, so I have to be specific

What do you write?
Long fiction, usually around 100,000 words. I have not yet tried to have these published. In the past plots have included plenty of gore, guts, and sex. The usual things.

Currently I am experimenting with changing a work in progress to a young adult novel. It's being an interesting challenge.

To learn enough about young adult literature to turn my current novel into the best young adult story -- and then to perhaps try to have it published.

I've been involved with writing most of my adult life, first with non-fiction presentations and proposals. About 35 years ago, I started dabbling with fiction.

Be flexible; be prepared to change; accept constructive criticsm; and keep at it until you finish.

Books
Any written by: John Marsden, Karen Robards, Stieg Larsson, PC and Kristen Cast, James Patterson

Places?Country Australia; San Francisco; Montreal; London; Singapore

Which
a) animal: cat
b) plant: orchids
c) piece of furniture: my comfortable recliner
and d) piece of clothing: my well-worn jacket
is most like you?
Wanda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this thread was in place when I first joined, but nonetheless I submit and open myself to humiliation. Same old, same old. Very Happy

Forum moniker Wanda

Real name Wanda Morrow-Clevenger

Age 54

Occupation Babysitter - waitress - state secretary - bank secretary - homemaker - mom - retail clerk - florist assistant - legal secretary - now published writer.

Location Illinois, United States

What do you write? Started with nonfiction (memoir), then micro-fiction (this still kicks my butt), short fiction pieces, nonfiction disguised as fiction (covering my butt), and its and bits of poetry (mostly cringe-worthy, but I’m persistent).

What are your current writing goals? To finish my memoir, get kick-ass good at fiction, publish all of it somewhere, anywhere. Find a good home for my recently finished sci-fi novella “Monsters Under the Bed.”

When and why did you start writing? 2007; was outrageously bored one afternoon at the law office when my boss was in court and started playing around with snips of my former childhood/adolescence. A floodgate opened and I was hooked. Though, a friend pointed out that I’d been writing stories as long as she’d known me (30 years) and she produced two sad, sad offerings from when we worked together at the State to prove this.

Mortified, shortly after I enrolled in Long Ridge Writers Group.

What's your best piece of writing advice? Do yourself and your readers an enormous favor: read at least one book on the craft of writing.

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? Yeah, I do badly with this sort of question. Next please…

Films: Impossible to answer.
Books: Impossible again. I like an eclectic mix.
Foods: I could do Top 20, but then I’d come off as an uncontrollable pig.
Places?: Haven’t been out of the US, so I pass on this as well. Yes, I’m dreadfully boring. Though, where I have traveled, I’ve enjoyed each location to the fullest extent allowed by law.

Which
a) animal: Not big on animals, what with my many, many dead pet bird history.
b) plant: Orchid - not overly interesting until it surprises with blooms.
c) piece of furniture: Pool table - just another home ornamentation unless you know how to play it correctly.
and d) piece of clothing
is most like you? Classic black sweater - the one I own with ornate, hidden lining.
nataliebowers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker nataliebowers

Real name Natalie Bowers

Age 37

Occupation mother, teacher, volunteer

Location Hampshire, UK

What do you write? fiction and creative life writing

What are your current writing goals? to keep writing and submitting

When and why did you start writing? I've made up stories my whole life, but I only started writing them down about four years ago.

What's your best piece of writing advice? ‘Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.’ Kurt Vonnegut (1922 – 2007), A Man without a Country

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? Jack Sparrow, Han Solo and Malcolm Reynolds

Films Star Wars (Episode IV), Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Serenity, So I Married and Axe Murderer, Toy Story

Books Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, Saturday by Ian McEwan, The Color Purple by Alice Walker, I Robot by Isaac Asimov

Foods Apple Crumble, Roast Lamb (with all the trimmings), chocolate, Schwarz Brothers Burgers, peanut butter

Places home, the beach, Costa Coffee, Bath (as in 'the city of'), bed

Which
a) animal cat
b) plant heather
c) piece of furniture pillow
and d) piece of clothing dressing gown
is most like you?
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I Robot by Isaac Asimov

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Junglemom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Forum moniker
Junglemom

Real name
Sandra Weber

Occupation
Mom and Student

What do you write?
grocery lists, trying to write a novel

to write this book I have in my head and then do more

Off and on forever, but I've never finished anything... Too afraid of what others might say

just do it!!!

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island?
matches, a solar generator, my laptop

Films Mame,The Bishops Wife, 7 brides for 7 brothers
Books Love them all; Romance, Biography, etc
Foods Indonesian food, Chinese Food, Steak,
Places? South East Asia

Which
a) animal - elephant, I never forget
b) plant - Lavender - nice smell, under rated
c) piece of furniture - Stove multi functional
and d) piece of clothing Jeans Laid back
is most like you?

fiction
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Member Profiles Reply with quote

Okay, might as well give this a shot...

Forum moniker - Henry

Real name - Henry (purely coincidental)

Age - fortymumble

Occupation - recession statistic and freelance writer

Location - Ireland

What do you write? - mostly speculative fiction, some light essays, and whatever pays

What are your current writing goals? - publish 10 short stories this year

When and why did you start writing? - I've been telling stories all my life, but I only started taking writing seriously a few years ago, after throwing a book down, shouting "Aw c'mon! I can write better than this!"

What's your best piece of writing advice? - Give yourself permission to write badly. Quality control just gets in the way.

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? - Do I really have to go? All my stuff's here...

Films -
Casablanca, Star Wars (the one we all called Star Wars when if first came out), It's a Wonderful Life, Metropolis, Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)

Books -
Farmer Giles of Ham by JRR Tolkien, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, 1884 by George Orwell, On Writing by Stephen King, Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Foods -
Not sure I can narrow it down to 5, but I can assure you that they all come from things that used to walk.

Places-
Home (current) especially in a warm bed or in front of a warm fire
Home (my parents' place)
Grandma's house - I spent a lot of time there growing up
Car - no thanks, I'll drive.
Out - that oughta cover it.

Which
a) animal -
Bear (pronouced "bahr") - definitely prone to hybernation and I enjoy a good scratch.

b) plant -
Moss - squat, fuzzy, and just about everywhere

c) piece of furniture-
Beanbag chair - fun, comfortable, but not terribly practical

d) piece of clothing
Remember that outfit that looked so great the first time you wore it, but then you noticed that it was dryclean only, so it's permanent home is now the bottom of the hamper? I'm a bit like that.
Or maybe I'm more of a mitten.
HanshiRonin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Hanshi Ronon profile Reply with quote

Forum moniker: HanshiRonin

What do you write? Short stories and poetry

What are your current writing goals? To improve my skills as a writer and possibly get published (lol)

When and why did you start writing? Wrote during high school and gave it up. A dear friend of mine got me back into it about two years ago. Now I write for fun and as an outlet.

What's your best piece of writing advice? The advice given to me, 'let yourself be free'

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? Three, a tent, a hammock, and a knife?

Films: Unusual Suspects, Inkheart, and many more
Books:Sun Tsu, the Art of War, Harry Potter, Most of Stephen kings work
Foods: All of it
Places?

Which
a) animal: Dogs and horses
b) plant:?
c) piece of furniture: couch
and d) piece of clothing: old T shirt
is most like you?
alcarty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks!
DonnaG
Co-Admin, Creator of Order

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcarty wrote:
This sucks!

Then do your own version, alcarty. One that doesn't 'suck'.
alcarty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is, I'm still trying to get the #%!!%&*@@# thing to post! Same old problem.

Al
SundayArtist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: Sunday Artist

(Oops! did I put too much 0s?)

Occupation: former mad scientist, now (almost-) full time science-fiction writer.

Location. Hazel City (Mississauga), Ontario, Canada

What do you write? mainly YA S-F while drawing mangas.

What are your current writing goals? Writing all the stories I want to share with the world.

When and why did you start writing? in school.

See http://sundayartist.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/the-secret-well-of-ideas/ and also: http://sundayartist.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/chasing-your-wild-ideas/

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? My drawing table, paper and pens.

Films : Alien-s, Gattaca, Minority Report, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain, The 6 Th Sense, Inception
Books : anything by Barbara Kingsolver, Carl Hiaasen, Peter Watts, Esther Rochon, Laurent McAllister, Dave Nickle, Francine Pelletier, Ursula K LeGuin and lots of others, some of them friends
OK, it was more than five, let's compensate here:
Food : chocolate, provided it's 80 %
Places : With friends

Which is most like you?
a) animal: the jury's still hung on that one
b) plant : Saguaro Cactus
c) piece of furniture : hamac
and
d) piece of clothing: comfy pants

And remember that Jules Verne had submitted 14 manuscripts over 12 years before getting a positive answer! Imagine if this writer had let discouragement stop his pen...

blog:
http://sundayartist.wordpress.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: