The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Member Profiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy Pop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffi wrote:
I believe it has something to do with spuds...

As in "pomme de terre"? Surely not. Come on ye kiwis/ex-pat-Brits.

William Mizner

http://www.freewebs.com/grailwriters/
http://www.villaambiente.com
Heather

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey we just use it. We don't have to understand it. All of those possible explanations appear in Wikipedia, and nobody seems to know. It's probably quite rude, but it is meant affectionately, unless the word "whingeing" is placed in front.

It's the same here with the Maori term for a white person "pakeha". Rumour has it that it means white pig, or some such but nobody admits to knowing and it has become part of the lingo
Shannon's Auntie
TWIt Booster & Quiz Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

The term pommy or pommie is commonly used by speakers of Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Africans. It is often shortened to pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies, most being backronyms.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pom and pommy originated as contractions of "pomegranate", Australian rhyming slang for immigrant. The OED cites a well-known Australian weekly, The Bulletin, which on 14 November 1912 reported: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse."[1]

A false etymology (or "backronym") common in both Australia and New Zealand is that pom originated as an acronym for "prisoner of (his/her) majesty" or "prisoner of mother England". Although many of the first British settlers in Australasia were convicts sentenced to transportation to Australia, there is no evidence for this. Some proponents of this theory claim that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with "POHM" or "POME" emblazoned on the back, but there are no images or examples of these uniforms.

Other etymologies which are unsupported by evidence include:

* "prisoner of Millbank", after the area of London where prisoners were held prior to transportation;
* it is rhyming slang for tommy, international slang for a British soldier;
* an acronym for "Port of Melbourne". However, the term "pommy" was coined long before POM was used as acronym for the port.
* comes from "pomme", French for apple. The joke was that the pale British would turn red, like an apple, with sunburn when they landed in Australia.

Another backronym for POM relates to English immigrants who could not adjust to their new surroundings and were considered "prisoners of Mother England", in terms of attitude and culture.

Use of the word "pom" remains slightly contentious. Some British people living in Australasia find the term offensive and demeaning, others find it harmless and amusing. Attitudes to the use of the word have varied over the years. In the 1960s, slogans such as "bash a pom a day" were heard on New Zealand radio. In Australia, it was frequently employed in the contemptuous phrase pommy bastard up until about the 1970s, when the wave of postwar British immigration to Australia began to decline; the phrase is rarely heard nowadays. The word has become so common that few Australians and New Zealanders see any reason to avoid using it, some even justifying the use of it as a "term of endearment". In December 2006, the Advertising Standards Board of Australia unanimously ruled that the word "pom" was a part of the Australian vernacular, and was largely used in a "playful or affectionate" sense. As a consequence, the board ruled that the word did not constitute a racial slur, and could be freely used in advertising. The Board was responding to a complaint filed by a community group called British People Against Racial Discrimination.
Shannon's Auntie
TWIt Booster & Quiz Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: Shannon's Auntie

Location: Derby (in the week), Mansfield (but only at weekends)

What do you write?: Emails mostly. Briefings for the trade union. Political election literature - I can do that at the drop of a hat, so give me a call, Hillary or Barack.

What are your current writing goals?: To start writing fiction again.

When and why did you start writing?: About three years ago after a break since school. I was not working and it was an egotistical way of thinking I was doing something quite significant. I was studying with the OU and gravitated to a writing group which became SlingInk. I left that when it got self-obsessed and found TWI. I did get my degree, which is not writing related at all.

What's your best piece of writing advice?: Write. Anything. Don't worry about what it is or if it's good. Just write.

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island?:
Flavoured rice milk (I'm dairy free).
An internet-enabled laptop.
The love of my life. (when I meet him)

What are your Top 5 Favourite: I hate lists, so I'll just mention one or two.
Films: Dangerous Liaisons;
Books: The Secret History by Donna Tartt; Atonement by Ian McEwan; What Katy Did At School by Susan Coolidge; The God of Small Things by Arundati Roy; The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey;
Foods: Flavoured Rice Milk; Soy Custard; Trifle made with Soy Custard; Green & Black's Mayan Gold (although I'm not a chocolate person); Thai food.
Places? London; Oxford; Derby; Sydney; A particular Norfolk beach.

Which
a) animal: cat - I like my independence, but I always return for love and strokes
b) plant: exotic orchid - requires a lot of maintenance
c) piece of furniture: chaise longue
and d) piece of clothing: silk peignoir
is most like you?
Eva Ulian

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real name Eva Ulian

Age 59

Occupation Teacher-Translator-Painter (where the money comes from) I'm a writer too but never earned enough to put it on the pay-roll

Location Italy (ex patriot from the shores of Britain)

What do you write? Novels, articles, poems, plays, short stories (adults and children) Text for English as a Foreign Language, Blogging and anything anyone wants me to...

What are your current writing goals? Make my blog a ‘Social/historical’ document! Finish my Historical novel/text book of Mewar (Rajasthan). Finish compiling my catalogue of paintings still in my possession which from now on I will no longer sell, this means writing a description for each painting which on good days can even be poetic. Find an agent/publisher who will make me rich and famous with my three novels about nuns and priests wondering "Why Me Lord?" Joke of course!

When and why did you start writing? At the age of six and something, I wrote letters to my father working in a coal mine in Switzerland which he read out to everyone when they came up from the pit for lunch. This was a real assignment because the miners would complain if they did not receive a letter at least once a week. I was also the village ‘poet laureate’ since I was asked to compose poems for weddings, baptisms, funerals... all at the age of seven something - in Italian. A year later I went to England and learnt English in nine months. But my real break came as a teenager when I was on the School Magazine editorial team and wrote mainly about all the gossip around school life that others wouldn’t dare. Can I go on or is that enough? Shifty

What's your best piece of writing advice? If you can live physically and mentally without writing, then do so as you will do yourself and others a favour.

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? My lap top with broadband and an electrical generator to make it go, so I can keep in touch with Twits, coffee with cream, paint brushes and canvas, the collected works of William Shakespeare.

What are your Top 5 Favourite:

Films The Nun’s Story, The Thorn Birds, Pride and Prejudice, Passage to India, Anything from Agatha Christie, Colombo, Inspector Barnaby.

Books All Shakespearean Tragedies and “All’s Well That Ends Well” Anything from Ruth Rendall, The Comfort of Strangers (I. McEwan)

Foods Fish and chips, trifle, English sausages eggs and bacon, pizza, all vegetables and fruits except garlic and onions. Will eat anything wholesome except hake and curry. My only drink is coffee... cofeee... coffee - in a big mug like in England.

Places Rajasthan, Rome, London and the South, Walsall, Scotland, Harlech and my home

Which

a) animal cat because it is independent but does not spurn companionship

b) plant Lily of the Valley because of the rare perfume, is not ostentatious and flowers on my birthday

c) piece of furniture a stool because you can put it anywhere

and d) piece of clothing a shawl because you can wrap it around you casually and yet are picturesquely fully clothed

is most like you?

Last edited by Eva Ulian on Tue May 13, 2008 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Enitharmon

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker
Enitharmon

Real name
Rosalind Mitchell

Occupation
Computer dogsbody

What do you write?
Words, my liege! Crime fiction, short stories, polemic, technical documentation

What are your current writing goals?
To persuade the world that my words are worth reading

When and why did you start writing?
I made up stories before I could read, and wrote them down as soon as I could write. But I became self-conscious about it at an early age and suppressed it for years. It's about twenty years now since I let go of my inhibitions.

What's your best piece of writing advice?
Get some paper and a pencil and just let the words come. Worry about it afterwards if you must. And never throw your writing away.

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island?
1. A good fountain pen
2. A generous supply of sepia ink to fill it with
3. A generous supply of top quality paper.

Films
1. Les Enfants du Paradis
2. The Third Man
3. All About Eve
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Duck Soup

Books
1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
2. Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
3. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
4. The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L Sayers
5. Waterland by Graham Swift

Foods
1. Haddock and chips (eaten from the paper while sitting on the beach)
2. Risotto alla milanese (my own)
3. Dundee cake
4. Gooseberry crumble with ice cream
5. Beef and oyster pie (from Sweeney & Todd of Reading)

Places
Lerwick, Shetland
Kraków, Poland
Whitby, England
Perugia, Italy
Berlin, Germany

Which is most like you?
a) animal
Sloth
b) plant
Wild rose (watch those thorns!)
c) piece of furniture
Bookshelves
d) piece of clothing
A chunky, comfortable pair of walking shoes
Alaska

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: Alaska

Real name: Eva Maria (but nobody EVER calls me that except for my mother when she is cross) Clausson Hopkins

Occupation: Mother, Wife, Dog walker, Cleaner, Cook, Nurse, Friend, Retired

What do you write?: Shoppinglists, Notes to teachers, Notes to self (now that I am losing the short term memory), occasional poems, and one novel.

What are your current writing goals?: To finish the first draft of the novel before the end of the year.

When and why did you start writing?: When I was a student I was told off for having too much imagination when I wrote stories. Go Figure. I wanted to be a writer/journalist but was guided (firmly) towards a job that would pay plenty. When working in Marketing I wrote sales briefs and marketing campaigns. Now, after having kids and giving up work, I am back in the world of fiction.

What's your best piece of writing advice?: If I had any I would use it for myself. My worst enemies are: Poor self confidence, perfectionism, more poor self confidence, and having no good advice.

My iPod, My family and several cases of Meursault. Can I have five? Pen and paper.

Films:
Cinema Paradiso, Gone with the Wind, The Usual Suspects, Life is Beautiful, The Godfather (all of them)
Books: Ladder of years (Anne Tyler), Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen), The Joy Luck Club (Amy Tan), The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver), Marry me (John Updike)
Foods: Roast Grouse with all the trimmings, Fillet steak with bearnaise sauce and loads of chips, Baked Haddock in saffron sauce, BLT's, Artichokes
Places? Chicago, Rome, Stockholm archipelago, Mauritius, The North Yorkshire moor where I live

Which
a) animal:
labrador - loyal, likes cuddles and occassionally very disobedient
b) plant: ground elder - networks under the surface, invisibly
c) piece of furniture: bean bag
and d) piece of clothing: cashmere jumper two sizes too big
is most like you?

Last edited by Alaska on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Effie
TWI Forum Member of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: Effie (aka Effie Merryl)

Sharon Birch

Occupation: Mother, Wife, Children's Nursery Owner, ex-Detective (20 yrs) wannabe writer (when we move to Scotland)

Location: Seaton Carew (aka Canoe), Hartlepool. Soon to be a little town nr Pitlochry

What do you write?: Rubbish - often! Dark grisly stuff, often offends, usually kill someone off, child abuse, death and real-life horror. Most have a basis in something I have known about professionally, sometimes personally. I also like to write wry life-style pieces of my own life, try to be humourous, but doesn't always come across.

What are your current writing goals?: Due to have first book, Living with FrED published in November, and already have a few hundred pre-orders. FrED is a book about our inherited genetic condition Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.
Part-written novel (50K done). Would like to seriously publish short stories as soon as I can concentrate fully on writing - once we move.
Complete A363 successfully and finish my OU degree! (one more to go after that!)

When and why did you start writing?: Always and forever. When I didn't have time for my own writing, when the children were little, I put my energies into trying to write the best case files, reports etc at work.

What's your best piece of writing advice?: Keep at it - even when your own demons tell you it's a waste of time.

Excluding friends and family -
Laptop
Photographs
Bandages (for my many injuries, pains and problems)

Films: Stand by Me, O Brother Where Art Thou, Sleepy Hollow (Johnny Depp), 12 Angry Men, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Books:
Changes yearly.
Famous Five - Enid Blyton, (for giving me the passion to write and investigate),
Wuthering Heights
It - Stephen King
Whatever book I'm reading at the time (currently Maob is my Washpot - Stephen Fry)

Foods:
Yorkshire Pudding
Curry (tikka,balti etc)
Creamy Pasta
Strawberry Icecream
Whatever I fancy at a given time

Places?
Highlands of Perthshire
London
New England
Lake Como
Wherever my heart is at a given time

Which
a) animal: cat
b) plant: holly
c) piece of furniture: bed
d) piece of clothing: anything black
Eva Ulian

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effie wrote:
ex-Detective (20 yrs)

A real detective WOW- all my three novels have a suspected death possibly murder? I think I've watched all the detectives on TV which my brother tapes for me from British TV and brings them out when he comes on holiday... Morse, Taggert, Frost... from the past - did you write any of them?
Effie
TWI Forum Member of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish!

Lived through my own stuff though. Shocked Watch out for the book!

If you are a member of the Grail, you can catch up with it all, but I'm not going to bore people here with the saga.

I worked on the Crime Squad and CID in Central London and Child Abuse up here in the North. If there's anything you feel I can advise on, holler up! Smile
Eva Ulian

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaska wrote:
Real name:[/b] Eva Maria (but nobody EVER calls me that except for my mother when she is cross)

Eva... how can you not possibly like such a pretty name? And you are in great company... Eva Braun (Hitler's last minute wife), Eva-Marie Saint (the actress), Little Eva of the Locomotion (Black singer), and of course myself... I believe it first appeared in "Uncle Tom's Cabin"... the author is on the tip of my tongue but I can't get it out... Must be old age!

P.s. Forgot one of the most important Evas... Eva Peron, the President of Argentina's wife... And Maria... that's a bit more common but that's my second name- the one I chose for my confirmation... Now what do you think destiny is up to?

Last edited by Eva Ulian on Sat May 17, 2008 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eva Ulian

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effie wrote:
Lived through my own stuff though. Shocked Watch out for the book!

If there's anything you feel I can advise on, holler up! Smile

I'm not a member of the Grail Confused But I must grab hold of your book ... and yes, if I'm in need I will certainly call upon you for technical support... which reminds me- maybe I should take another look at the novels and in particular the death scenes and see if they pour water on all sides!!!
Alaska

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eva... how can you not possibly like such a pretty name?

Laughing
It's not that I don't like it, I do. And you are right, both Eva and Maria are two names with great history. But it feels too sophisticated to be me. I respond to Mia, my childhood nickname, and only that. Erm... and Darling, too. And sweetheart.

Quote:
Keep at it - even when your own demons tell you it's a waste of time.
My demons don't tell it to me, they SHOUT it!
dibley

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Wink
Eva Ulian

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dibley wrote:
Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Wink

Thanks Dibley. In the foyer of Walsall Library where I grew up there was (probably still is) a statue of a "Little Eva" from Uncle Tom's Cabin and although I know the author was the sister of a religious writer, Ward, and her book influenced the US to abolish slavery, I never made it one of my priorities to remember if Harriet and her brother Ward were British or American. Not that it makes much difference but it's one of those loose ends I'ld like to tie up sooner or later.

Also, Uncle Tom's Cabin is the only novel that I know about and have wondered if she ever wrote others, but I don't think so otherwise we would have known about it. However, it's something to think about that some authors are remembered only for the one novel they wrote and usually it is the novel that is remembered and not the author- Gone with the Wind is another example...

In this present society where publishing is a diabolical rat-race, it's nice to recall examples where writers have had an effect on the world and get back to the essentials of what writers are really about. Think

There, my sermon is over- and it's not even Sunday yet Boo Hoo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: