The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The weekend papers and their freebies slot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffrey
TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: The weekend papers and their freebies slot Reply with quote

I don't know if there's anyone else here who, like me, has become something of a devotee of trawling through the weekend newspapers seeing what freebies such as music CD's, DVD's and other such offerings they are giving away.

I've been doing this for the last couple of years at least and, at an estimated average of around 1.4 a week, have now (as you may well imagine) amassed quite a collection of them. Much of it is, frankly, not to my taste. However there has also been much I might not otherwise have discovered secreted here and there among it all.

So I thought I'd start a topic where I (and, of course, anyone else so inclined) could tell others of their findings in this field of news, gossip and a freebie thrown in to boot! (Clumsily stated as that sounds put that way!)

To start the ball rolling I want to tell you about the Art Garfunkel double album (part 1) given away with last Sunday's 'The Mail on Sunday'. I really thought it was brilliant and shall be eagerly awaiting part 2 this coming Sunday. I always liked AG but this has made an even greater Art Garfunkel fan of me.

Anyone else out there discovered new talents or found more to appreciate in existing ones this way?
Confused Confused
Bebbet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to find the compilation CDs given away in the papers are generally crap, but there's always at least one track on them that makes it worth while (just finished listening to Jools Holland and Ruby Turner's 'Nobody but You' taken from one such album).

The DVDs are sometimes interesting. One paer last weekend was giving away Dune! Pitty I've had it for years...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WelshPixie
Flashmeister & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune (the one with Sting in it) from the Observer last Sunday. Yay! We had a copy but it was scratched and wouldn't play. I'd never seen nor read it, so it was a good freebie ^.^

(They gave Conan the Barbarian the day before I think, but we already have that so we gave it to a friend...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bebbet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WelshPixie wrote:
(They gave Conan the Barbarian the day before I think, but we already have that so we gave it to a friend...)

Nuts, missed that one! Got it on tape (yes, tape! - keeping it retro!) but it's not the same.
Shannon's Auntie
TWIt Booster & Quiz Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have two copies of Dune as we had one delivered to our house, and we bought a copy on the Sunday morning when we were away.

I've also had Cinema Paradiso, The Madness of King George, East is East and Educating Rita.

I can't bring myself to buy the Mail, even if I only got the CD and threw the paper away...
Bebbet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon's Auntie wrote:
I can't bring myself to buy the Mail, even if I only got the CD and threw the paper away...

I know what you mean. I can't stand the Mail! But I do like the Saturday supliment (great TV guide) Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: