The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite Abba song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thewobblydickle
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Favourite Abba song Reply with quote

In Lew's Album of the Moment thread, Suzy listed Abba Gold as one of her most returned to albums and asked us not to laugh. And that's the thing about Abba. People like 'em but only the brave admit to it.

The aim of this thread is to discover the TWITS' favourite Abba song.

Here's mine:

My Love, My Life (it's from Arrival. I still own, and occasionally listen to, a vinyl copy Embarassed ).

Come on, own up, what's your favourite Abba song?
Shannon's Auntie
TWIt Booster & Quiz Queen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh that's a toughie.

My Love, My Life is up there...

I'll have to get back to you.

This deserves my full consideration, not drunken Friday night musings.
Lew
General Secretary of the Short Story

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourite Abba song Reply with quote

Thewobblydickle wrote:
... the thing about Abba. People like 'em but only the brave admit to it.

Where do people who start threads about ABBA belong on your scale of bravery?? I find, and history will back me up on this, there is a fine line between very brave and downright mad.

(how do I do a backwards'B' on here?)
geoffrey
TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me ... Super Trouper, Chiqqitita, The Winner Takes it All, Gimme Gimme ... and just about everything else they did.

Words that I feel such empathy with. Tunes I am invariably moved by. Instrumental embellishments that, for me, borrow a lot from early classical music. (If Handel had been alive today - he might well have written these songs!)

I'm not scared of losing friends by admitting that I love Abba songs - I haven't got any! Embarassed
Thewobblydickle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Favourite Abba song Reply with quote

Lew wrote:
Thewobblydickle wrote:
... the thing about Abba. People like 'em but only the brave admit to it.

Where do people who start threads about ABBA belong on your scale of bravery?? I find, and history will back me up on this, there is a fine line between very brave and downright mad.

(how do I do a backwards'B' on here?)

You seem to be avoiding the question, sir.
Thewobblydickle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon's Auntie wrote:
Ooh that's a toughie.

My Love, My Life is up there...

I'll have to get back to you.

This deserves my full consideration, not drunken Friday night musings.

Sadly, the question came to me in a drunken Friday night musing. It's not the kind of thing I would normally muse over.
Honest.
Solo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Dancing Queen' of course. Very Happy
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fernando

and yes ive got at least one album...and i don't mind admitting it...and i did actually see them in the flesh (ooooer Agnetha Wink Very Happy ) but not singing Sad ...

i'm nooo singer but someone once told me that mama mia was one of the hardest songs to sing EVER...due to its range...all i know as a poor schmuck that just listens...is that i like their music!

Flirty Wink

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Thewobblydickle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flirtybee wrote:
Fernando

and yes ive got at least one album...and i don't mind admitting it...and i did actually see them in the flesh (ooooer Agnetha Wink Very Happy ) but not singing Sad ...

i'm nooo singer but someone once told me that mama mia was one of the hardest songs to sing EVER...due to its range...all i know as a poor schmuck that just listens...is that i like their music!

Flirty Wink

Fernando's a close second for me.
I too have at least one album.
Anlaas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last night I was too pissed even for drunken ABBA musing (my eldest nephew's birthday bash. His 21st. You've no idea how old that makes me feel!)

Can't decide my fave song. There's just something about ABBA you gotta love. Not the technical excellence of the songs, more the slightly bonkers Scandinavian twist to the English lyrics, and the fact that there was always a frisson of excitement that came from the barely repressed sexual tension in the band. (Or maybe it's only me that notices things like that Laughing )
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never an Abba fan. I didn't give them the time of day. I've never bought an Abba record and never will. They've never been my thing really.
But if I'm out with my mates and Dancing Queen comes on then I join in with the rest of them. And I went to see Mamma Mia and was surprised that I knew every song.
Shannon's Auntie
TWIt Booster & Quiz Queen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is My Love, My Life. It's from Arrival, the only Abba album my Dad had, and it's brilliant.

For singing drunkenly though, it has to be Waterloo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: