The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: The Movie Topic Reply with quote

Hate to start on a negative, but couldn't keep this one hidden - Alexander is a steaming heep of dog excrement!

Too long, melodramatic, overwought, pretentious, grim, lazily directed (by Oliver Stone!) and pathetically written.

Despite everything however, Angelina Jolie somehow manages to be superb. Unfortunately, the twenty minutes she's on screen fail to make up for the other two-and-a-half hours of... Alas, soldiers are yet to invent a suitable expletive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now a positive. House of Flying Daggers

Beautifully shot, beautifully choreographed and with some truly original ideas in the set-pieces.

If (like me) you're a fan of this type of balletic hokum, the story is a little predictable, but the whole thing is such a joy to the eyeballs it doesn't matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Carol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the kids to see National Treasure.

Enjoyable rubbish with Nicholas Cage and Sean Bean

Carol
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol wrote:
Enjoyable rubbish with Nicholas Cage and Sean Bean

Summed up very nicely
Solo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched 'The Hours' on DVD yesterday afternoon and found it fascinating. The story intertwines Virginia Woolf's battle against insanity as she begins to write her first novel, with the dramatic effect the book has on the life of one of her readers and weaves the characters of the book in their present day lives. It's hard to do justice to the film by trying to explain the intricacies on here, but suffice it to say it's intelligent, beautifully acted and well worth watching.
Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
Watched 'The Hours' on DVD yesterday afternoon and found it fascinating. The story intertwines Virginia Woolf's battle against insanity as she begins to write her first novel, with the dramatic effect the book has on the life of one of her readers and weaves the characters of the book in their present day lives. It's hard to do justice to the film by trying to explain the intricacies on here, but suffice it to say it's intelligent, beautifully acted and well worth watching.

Have to agree. It's a wonderful film, beautifully shot and the acting superb. I bought and read the book afterwards - it was changed very little for the film.

One of my favourite films is Amelie - I have the DVD and watch it every once in a while - it's so warm and funny.
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosie wrote:
One of my favourite films is Amelie - I have the DVD and watch it every once in a while - it's so warm and funny.

I list Amelie among my Top Ten (somewhere between Die Hard and the Star Wars Trilogy). I love that film. A first among romantic comedies in that it's actullay funny and romantic - unlike the Richard Curtis/Four Weddings franchise that manages to be neither.
Carol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversation overheard at the pictures

Girl1 - War of the Worlds is coming out in the summer
Girl2 - Oh yes, I read the book. But I don't know whether I can stand Tom Cruise saving the world again

Does this mean that Tom Cruise plays a bacteria??

Carol
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol wrote:
Does this mean that Tom Cruise plays a bacteria??

I don't see why not, he always plays some kind of germ.

Last time there were no tripods, the world was populated entirely by soldiers and hicks (and one nutty professor), half the story went missing and there was no 'Ooooooooohhh-Laaaaaaahhhhhh', so who knows what they'll do this time round.
GaryH
TWIt Booster & Knight of TWIt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see War of the Worlds remake being up to much. What's the betting it'll be a ragtag bunch of heroes who come to the rescue led by Cruise and I bet there all American Rolling Eyes

Did I really write this...Oh dear!!!!
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a still from the movie - Tom, sat with a group of haggered refugees, holding a crying child. Already things don't bode well
Solo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just found a still from the movie - Tom, sat with a group of haggered refugees, holding a crying child. Already things don't bode well

Ah but does he have his shirt off?

He does?

There you go. It'll be just fine. Wink
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
Ah but does he have his shirt off?

Alas no. Sorry to shatter your fantasy.

But don't worry, there'll always be Top Gun. Volley Ball match for the girls; big planes, crap '80's rock and Kelly McGillis' legs for the rest of us.
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen The Incredibles? Stayed awake all the way through, which is a first for me when taking my kids to the pictures.
WelshPixie
Flashmeister & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Incredibles is goooooooooooood.

Iain bought Amelie for me the first time we met, insisting that I simply HAD to own it, and I love it.

Just finished watching The Chronicles of Riddick and now I'm watching Pitch Black. Reasonably good - Vin Diesel gets better with every movie he makes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: