The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLOSER: Hmmn. Promising start but becomes too convoluted and convenient as it progresses. Also, is it just me who is crying out for fresh talent in high profile films? I really felt that Julia Roberts' character would have benefitted from being played by a lesser known actress out to make her mark on the big screen.
Bebbet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
I really felt that Julia Roberts' character would have benefitted from being played by a lesser known actress out to make her mark on the big screen.

All Julia Robert's characters would benefit from being played by someone else. She's been playing 'feisty bird with a heart of gold you're supposed to love but just want to slap' since Pretty Woman. She has all the range of Jean-Claude Van Damm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but she 'aint half gorgeous though 'aint she? Wink
Bebbet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missy wrote:
Yes, but she 'aint half gorgeous though 'aint she? Wink

Would be if there was anything in the least bit interesting about her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Missy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would be if there was anything in the least bit interesting about her.

You don't have to talk to her!
Bebbet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missy wrote:
You don't have to talk to her!

Not just talking about her personality. A pretty face is all well and good, but there's nothing striking about the woman at all.
Missy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok point taken. shut up Jan......
Thewobblydickle
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with Bebbet on the JR appeal subject.
Have to mention, this is one of those subjects where I can say with all honesty that,

'My wife doesn't understand me.'

She can't understand why JR interests me in no way whatsoever.
Sorry, but I just can't see the appeal of the bird. I can't even see anything there to make me want to try.
Bebbet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thewobblydickle wrote:
Fully agree with Bebbet on the JR appeal subject.
Have to mention, this is one of those subjects where I can say with all honesty that,

'My wife doesn't understand me.'

She can't understand why JR interests me in no way whatsoever.
Sorry, but I just can't see the appeal of the bird. I can't even see anything there to make me want to try.

Gives me an idea for another discussion
Bebbet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotive, phylisophical, intelligent, humourous, sumptuous to look at, beautifully written, magnificently performed by the entire cast - Al Pacino at his very best.

I'm coming to the end of watching Angels in America for the second time and I've decided it's one of the best things I've ever seen.
Kasha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Finding Neverland.
Cried like a baby.
Very touching film, particularly if you're a Peter Pan fan.
Johnny Depp just carries on showing us what a good actor he is.
GaryH
TWIt Booster & Knight of TWIt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kasha I thought Finding Neverland was superb. Great to see how the creative genius in JM Barrie brought to life and loved the way he looked at things.
Gary
Solo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valiant - aw, go on ... you know you want to! It's fun, not too long and Ricky Gervais's overweight, smelly, moth-eaten character 'Bugsy' is well worth a chuckle. It's a typically animated blend of underdogs (er, I mean pigeons) saving the day with a healthy dollop of not-so-subtle humour and dashing doings. Grab the late showing, avoiding the sweetiebag scrunching kiddies and you'll not regret it! Very Happy
Missy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're going to take the kids on Friday night. Mainly because we want to see it ourselves.
Took them to see Hitch last week. Not bad. Bit old for the youngest one but she still liked it.
I bought her a video of The Secret Garden yesterday. She hasn't washed or dressed since, can't drag her away from the telly. She even came with me to drop Nancy in Romford this morning in her nightie and dressing gown. Rolling Eyes
Bebbet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be Cool
Get Shorty was precisely what it was trying to be: One of the coolest movies of recent years. Sadly, the sequel isn't! Sad

Abandoning a decent script in favour of ploughing as many big names into it as possible, this suffers from the same fate of many sequels; style over content. John Travolter (at his best when not saying anything) and Uma Thurman are both static and get little opportunity to show what they can do - the dialogue between the two of them being incredibly dull.

The stand-out performances in fact come from three of the non-actors. The Rock has huge fun taking the piss out of himself and camping it up so much Julian Clarey would be embarrassed, Cedric the Entertainer draws on his stand-up experience to deliver everything with fervour and Andre Benjimin (he of Outkast) shows a big talent for comedy.

Vince Vaughn is also good as the white pleb who thinks he's black, though sometimes he's just plain annoying.

Another highlight is Christina Milian who, although she has little acting to do, sounds incredible everytime she opens up the vocal chords, looks stunning in every scene (even when she's not supposed to) and pulls off a fantastic live performance of Aerosmith's Cryin', despite the challenge of having to sing along side the great Steven Tyler (he drowned her out once or twice but she held her own).

Other cameos of note are James Woods (genius), Danny Devito, Black Eyed Peas and Seth Greene (not used nearly enough).

There are some great one-liners and brilliant comic moments (most of which are in the trailer), but a piss-poor script and shody directing let the whole thing down - and by the end everything's just turned silly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: