The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WelshPixie wrote:
Just finished watching The Chronicles of Riddick and now I'm watching Pitch Black. Reasonably good - Vin Diesel gets better with every movie he makes.

I loved Pitch Black - original, atmospheric and Riddick is fantastic - but was unimpressed with Chronicles of Riddick - too long, too flashy, pathetic plot and Riddick was a sap. Special affects were nice though (as was Thandie Newton's wardrobe).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GaryH
TWIt Booster & Knight of TWIt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen both Pitch Black and Chronicles although Pitch Black was far batter in regards to storyline. I do like these antihero types. I thought Karl Urban played his part well and I'll be interested to see how he does in Doom. Could this be a translation of a video game that will be good? Hmm, I'll reserve judgement for now although the thought of Lucifer's minions being let loose on a Cydonian landscape sounds intriguing.

Gary

Did I really write this...Oh dear!!!!
Solo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But don't worry, there'll always be Top Gun. Volley Ball match for the girls; big planes, crap '80's rock and Kelly McGillis' legs for the rest of us.

Sounds fair enough to me ... Very Happy
fnarr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh addled one wrote:
I've seen both Pitch Black and Chronicles although Pitch Black was far batter in regards to storyline. I do like these antihero types. I thought Karl Urban played his part well and I'll be interested to see how he does in Doom. Could this be a translation of a video game that will be good? Hmm, I'll reserve judgement for now although the thought of Lucifer's minions being let loose on a Cydonian landscape sounds intriguing.

Gary

As an aside - the game Chronicles of Riddick is superb. Very atmospheric in a Doom 3/ HL2 sort of way and voiced by the man himself. If you have a suitable decent PC I'd recommend grabbing a copy.
Kasha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to watch Alexander in the next couple of weeks (when me and hubby get a day off together!) so I'll let you know what I think Bebbet. Though already having seen the trailers I do keep going round saying, 'Alexander? He'll be the blond greek with the Irish accent then?'
I'm hoping that the film exceeds my expectations following the trailers. Have to say I was most unimpressed with Farrells accent on the trailer, since usually he seems to be good at accents.

I saw Phantom of the Opera the other day and can't recommend it highly enough. I haven't seen it as a show, so people who have might not be as impressed as I was (though my mum thought it was wonderful and she's seen it more times than I've had hot meals I think) I had to physically stop myself from applauding some scenes though (that could have been embarressing!)
If you enjoy musicals, or even if you just like a good show go and see this film!

Kasha
Bebbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasha wrote:
'Alexander? He'll be the blond greek with the Irish accent then?'

At first he makes a vacant attempt at covering it up, but about an hour into the film you realise, not only has he given up, but every other man in the cast has gone Celtic, I guess so he doesn't look too out of place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Solo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw Phantom of the Opera the other day and can't recommend it highly enough.

Me too Kasha - wasn't it beautiful to watch! Loved Minnie Driver as the Diva too ...

I'm trying to avoid being taken to see Alexander tonight ... quite fancy seeing 'White Noise' instead - anyone seen it yet?
Kasha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and Gerard Butler was very impressive as the Phantom too.

I haven't seen White Noise yet but hope to see that very soon too.
Good films are like buses. There's nothing worth watching at all for months, then three good films come along at once!

Kasha
GaryH
TWIt Booster & Knight of TWIt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that White noise looks rather good. Let's hope it lives up to the hype.

Gary

Did I really write this...Oh dear!!!!
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to see Ray tonight. I've read mixed reviews, so I'm just going to make my own mind up. Music will be good anyway!
Bebbet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team America: World Police

aka the movie Thunderbirds wished it had been turned into.

Won't be to everyone's liking - it being infantile, cheap, explicit (if such a description can be attributed to puppets) and coarse - and it is a bit long, but those of us who have the ability to easily regress to our adolesence can't help but smile all the way through Razz

Favourite bits were the songs 'I Miss You (Like Michael Bay Missed the Point with Pearl Harbour)' and 'America (F*ck Yeah!)', and the sex scene (and, trust me, not in a perverted way... well maybe a little Wink )

Best (and probably most inteligent) thing about it is the fact they're anti-everyone - liberals, republicans, democrats, even terrorists (Michael Moore's contribution is a thing of beauty)!
Missy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAY
Cried a few times, the parts when he was a little boy are very sad.
Good film, quite old fashioned. Lots of writing on the screen, announcing the year and place, it felt like watching one of those old 1930's -40's biopic things. The review I read in the Independent was probably fairly accurate, it was a bit cliche'd and the ending was a bit 'tidy'.
The guy who played Ray Charles was spot on, the mannerisms were brilliant, and he looked uncannily like him. All the actors were very good, most especially the little boy who played him.
Reminded me a little bit of Lady Sings The Blues.
Music very good, but then I like Ray Charles anyway, and they used original recordings.
Very long, ate too many sweets. Love a bit of pick and mix at the pictures, all those jelly beans and stuff. Came home with indigestion.
I will buy it for my dad on DVD next Christmas.
Solo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAY:

Loved it. Best film I've seen in ages.

Go!
Missy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a bit of a Ray Charles thing going on for a while now anyway, but have been playing him non stop today.
Question: Do you think you start liking stuff your mum and dad used to listen to? I have, a bit, I grew up with Ray Charles in the background and didn't take any notice,he was just some blind bloke that sung, to me. And another one, Timi Yuro, we used to shout at my dad to turn it off, but she's a great singer. My dad is a big jazz fan and I think it rubs off on you without you realising. Just a thought.
Bebbet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assault on Precinct 13

I am not a fan of remakes. If the original's gritty and atmospheric, they become glossy and colourful. All originality is lost and any wit and intelligence is removed to make way for an extended ad for the new Mini.

This in mind I went to see this with some trepedation. The original was raw, brutal and thinly plotted - usually a bad thing, but in this instance making the film more intense and immediate - and filled with all the atmos you expect from John Carpenter.

Fortunately, from the opening scene (featuring a stunning performance from Ethan Hawke) you can instantly cross 'gloss and glamour' off your list of worries.

The movie plays out as more of an homage than a remake, down to Laurence Fishburn's gangster sharing the surname of the goody-goody sergeant of the original.

The action is no-holds-barred. The humour is black, the atmosphere dark and there are scenes I'm sure would not go down well with a stereotypical American audience.

There are moments when the director has clearly tried to emulate an episode of 'Cops' and makes himself look a bit of a fool and at least one of the characters is an annoyance, but on the whole it gets away with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: