The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listening to ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
on to some Led Zeppelin.

ahhhh ... now we're rockin! Very Happy

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
FatMonica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the last week listening to The Lancashire Hotpots 'singing' Chippy Tea.

It's MiniMe's ringtone and he rings himself just to hear it play.
Soul destroying!

Not so much a recommendation as a quick,leave the room and cover your ears.!

www.chasingart.blogspot.com
Black Ink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnaG wrote:
Wow, Black Ink. That's one challenging (and absolutely gorgeous) piece. Good for you.

I think I've managed to hit that top C a few times without hurting anyone. The rest of the time ... well, let's just say the only living creature that would ever stay in the room was an odd cockatoo named Buddy. Embarassed

A few tips to use whilst aiming for the C ... relax, shoulders back, feet apart, chin up just enough to keep the throat relaxed, ensure you've got lots of air, relax, dig your toes into the floor, relax and go for it. (yes, there are four 'relaxes' in there on purpose)

If you ever get the notion to try and sing 'Memories' from Cats ... don't. It's a complete voice killer.

Wow Donna, thanks! I'm going to try all of those things you suggested next time I go and practice, I need all the help I can get! Laughing

I've actually done Memories, quite a while ago - I loved some of it, haha! Rolling Eyes

I'm currently flicking through Katherine Jenkins 3rd album, Living a Dream - very beautiful... especially Nessun dorma Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PaulH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnaG wrote:

A few tips to use whilst aiming for the C ... relax, shoulders back, feet apart, chin up just enough to keep the throat relaxed, ensure you've got lots of air, relax, dig your toes into the floor, relax and go for it. (yes, there are four 'relaxes' in there on purpose)

Another good method is to play in goal. A good hard kick of the ball into your nether regions and... no, wait. I think testicles are a requirement of this method...
PaulH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flirtybee wrote:
Quote:
on to some Led Zeppelin.

ahhhh ... now we're rockin! Very Happy

What? Rocking ourselves to sleep?

Sorry, I've never got the whole Led Zep thing.
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can pick and choose a few tracks, but don't generally think anything produced by any particular band MUST be good.

For rock, I'd generally prefer the blast of AC/DC's energy, though it depends muchly on my mood. Other times I'm quite happy ZZ Top'ing or something sort of 'fun rock'.

Some mainstream hits the spot, but that depends. I like Dido and James Blunt among zillions of others, though I'm usually preferring some of my early eighties stuff.

And other times I'm happy listening to anything between opera, flamenco, country and even Gregorian chant.

IF I had to pick my fave artists, I'd probably say the multi talented Freddie Mercury, and as a singer I think Roy Orbison was outstanding. Status Quo are definitely my all time band.

The Bee has a very versatile (and maybe eclectic) taste.

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
PaulH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with AC/DC over Led Zep anytime. But then I think of myself as a rock fan, and Led Zep as a blues band.

Fave band for me is Rush, but I cover a lot fo ground in my tastes. I love 80's music in general, lots of older goth music, a wide range of classical stuff and show songs... blimey, anything but (generally) country and western.

"My wife left me, my only son died
The dog licked a socket and got himself fried
Throw in a steel guitar adn you can't go wrong
It's a surefire number one, country and western song'

Rolling Eyes
Alan
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Side of the Moon - Great Gig in the Sky.

A wonderful piece of piano and vocal that tears your emotions apart if you let it.

I saw the Floyd in 1971 in Liverpool and they performed Dark Side live two years before the album was finished and released. It was stupendous.

I wasn't actually a great Pink Floyd fan, but sometimes you know instinctively when something is great
Thewobblydickle
Celery Winner 2005 & TWIt Booster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Dark Side of the Moon - Great Gig in the Sky.

A wonderful piece of piano and vocal that tears your emotions apart if you let it.

I saw the Floyd in 1971 in Liverpool and they performed Dark Side live two years before the album was finished and released. It was stupendous.

I wasn't actually a great Pink Floyd fan, but sometimes you know instinctively when something is great

RIP Rick Wright
DonnaG
Co-Admin, Creator of Order

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for something completely different.

These guys are crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU&feature=related
Carol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flight of the Conchords is great. BBC3 showed the series a couple of months ago.
mike noakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep brilliant!
JonP
TWI Fiction Writer of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radio show was good, too. ("Pictures are better on radio", "Preferred their earlier work", etc. etc.)
Mrs Darcy versus the Aliens
Kooga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that having won the Mercury Prize and Best British Group at the Brits this may be no surprise to some, but I've been listening to their "epic melancholic" album for some time and am enamoured.

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

It has only taken them 18 years to get here.

There is a writing link here - in the BBC mini-series The Singing Detective, the main character refers to the word 'elbow' as, "the most sensuous word in the English language, not for its definition, but for how it feels to say it."

And that is why the band is named, thus (apparently).
Afon Rheidol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very catholic in music tastes - though with some large gaps (e.g. most Jazz, most musicals / operas, almost all rap, country & western etc.) But, for writing I tend to prefer silence (that's not a Coldplay track) or the following:

Tangerine Dream; Gregorian Chants (and other medieval plainsong); Jean Michel Jarre's earlier works. These all have a certain sub-conscious hypnotism.

In general, most other music, I find too prescriptive - too suggestive an intrusion into the writing. There are specific track exceptions (e.g. some tracks on Pink Floyd's A Saucerful Of Secrets - especially Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun) but I do not want to keep changing tracks, so I prefer to use works I know will be long and unprescriptive.

AR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 37 of 38

Jump to: