The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robin Hood and Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delph_ambi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2009

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Robin Hood and Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers Reply with quote

Robin Hood and Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
By Paul A Freeman
Published by Coscom Entertainment
Paperback ISBN: 978-1-926712-23-9
eBook ISBN: 978-1-926712-24-6

If you’re into zombie tales, you’ll love this book. If you’re a Robin Hood fan, you’ll love this book. If you adore Chaucer, you’ll love this book. If you’re a fan of zombie tales, Robin Hood, and Chaucer – you must have already read this book, because before Paul Freeman wrote this work, I doubt if such a fan existed. This is cross-genre writing with a vengeance. I came to it as a Chaucer fan, who remembers liking Robin Hood as a child, but who has never had much to do with zombie tales. I found in this astonishing work the spirit of Chaucer living on: immaculate iambic pentameter rhyming couplets that never falter and therefore become invisible; great wit; great storytelling; vibrant characters; fabulous drama. I also relived my childhood enjoyment of the tales of Robin Hood. I won’t give away the ending here, but will just say it’s genuinely moving and is told with authenticity and a clear love for the traditional tales of one of England’s best heroes. As for the zombies… ‘She pulled him from the gore-bespattered mound, / Where strugg’ling for his life upon the ground / His body was immobilized by hands / Which soon plucked out his guts in glist’ning strands.’ Horror fans will not be disappointed. This stuff rocks.
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

zombies, check. robin hood, check. chaucer ... do i need to read canterbury tales first? bought it, just have yet to crack the cover.

age group - 15 and up? my son reads faster than i do Sad was tempted before reading this review by delph - now it is a must have!

one left on amazon . ca ... but one must hold out for a womble stamp mustn't one ?! Very Happy
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."
Mandy Pannett
The Stirred POeT 2012 winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant. In a class of its own. Very Happy
JonP
TWI Fiction Writer of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely unique. In a good way Smile
Mrs Darcy versus the Aliens
womble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, you're making me blush.

Cheers, folks.

I must say though, without Cathy's advice to write the book to order for Coscom Entertainment, I'm not sure it would have seen the light of day.

W Razz

Read my top five story from the National newpaper's annual short story competition:
http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/short-story-a-day-for-decisiveness
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: whew! Reply with quote

It is here! It arrived in time! Wuhooooooo!! First time I have ever ordered books online (other than ebooks), and it worked - Chaucer has arrived in time for Christmas, along with the work of art by Sir womble Cool My son will never be the same (16 soon!) since he only knows of a reference to Chaucer from A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger, Paul Bettany, Mark Addy, James Purefoy

Chose to order from Chapters (Cda) rather than Amazon and was very impressed with free shipping and timely arrival - a great end to a grotesque week. Thanks Paul - nice picture in the back of the book! (Jon P.'s was only avlb as an ebook so will wait)
I am such a cheap date - this makes me so happy! Now just awaiting delph's delights... via iceberg.
In the meantime I shall brew a limerick or two... and "flash" out at the world through my Buckleys gel caps fog...
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."
womble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this one.

Hope the book went down well and thanks for the kind words.

As you can imagine, I'm working on shorter Chaucer pieces these days - though the one I'm near completing (hopefully this week) will be about 3,000 words.

W Razz

Read my top five story from the National newpaper's annual short story competition:
http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/short-story-a-day-for-decisiveness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: