The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paying Market for Writers/Reviewers/Editors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Writing Markets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonnaG
Co-Admin, Creator of Order

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapes wrote:
Wow! I missed all this!

Sure wish I had, as well. Laughing

Oddly enough, there hasn't been a peep from MF Publishing London anywhere on the internet that I can see since all of the nonsense blew up here a few weeks ago.
RobCurtis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed it too Embarassed

Defamation is a tricky one. Over on another forum (where I used to be a moderator), I got done for implying someone was in charge of an organisation when it went bust. The owner of the site got a call from said person within hours of my post going up, pointing out that it was incorrect, and I removed the post immediately.

However, many, many emails from legal representatives (and the accompanying threats) later, the situation seems to have cooled down a little, and I've heard nothing for a few months. During this situation, I researched online libel and defamation heavily, and it comes down to the fact that anything viewable online (outside a closed community) can be actionable. But for a time, the owners of the site could have had papers served to divulge all of the personal information they had on me, which could have led to my personal address and papers being served there.

It served as a stark warning to me that everything I type online should be run through a 'risk analysis', especially when it relates to commercial ventures.

Back on topic, when I saw the blog, it screamed "copy and paste" to me. The writers of that (one) blog post hadn't even tidied up their posting. You would have thought that when a link to it appeared on here, they would have said "oops" and cleaned it up. It would take ten minutes. Hell, I'll even offer to do it myself for a small consideration Shocked
Tapes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
'Oddly enough, there hasn't been a peep from MF Publishing London anywhere on the internet that I can see since all of the nonsense blew up here a few weeks ago.'

You amaze me.
DaveTea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that MF publishing have resurfaced. Over Christmas I received an email from Paul, their Editor in Chief:

Quote:
My sincere apologies for the lack of communication in the last year or so, but itís been a lengthy, and at times, frustrating journey to finally arrive where I am now and have this amazing and unique website finally built and almost ready to announce to you. [...] As you can imagine, the financial negotiations, creation and delivery of such a complex major website on my unemployed writer's micro budget wasnít exactly easy, but Iím very proud of the finished product we now have.

Interestingly, considering that the project has been developed on an "unemployed writer's micro budget", the email then informs me that:

Quote:
payment for reviews will be £200 (c.$310) for around 800 words and £100 (c.$155) for around 500 words

How, if he didn't have any money to develop the project, is he now able to pay for writers? I wonder if this is worth a punt or if it'll be a case of having to chase up payments that never materialise?

Then, a few days later I noticed this: http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=search&ne_post_id=54009&cHash=8d2c8c50c1 The wording is virtually the same as the message sent by MF Publishing but this is an outfit calling themselves Forty Fourth Publishing (no website) and the contact is someone called Margaret Winsford!

Does anyone else have any more insight into all this?? Confused
DonnaG
Co-Admin, Creator of Order

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info, DaveTea. Do you have a link to MF Publishing's 'amazing and unique website'?

In regards to Forty Fourth Publishing, one should always approach these kind of freelance job postings with caution. The fact that FF Publishing doesn't seem to have a web site sets off alarm bells for a starter. It makes me doubt their legitimacy.

There's some good info at Absolute Write about content sites that's worth reading:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58733
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Writing Markets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: