The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy Pannett
The Stirred POeT 2012 winner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Christmas books Reply with quote

Anybody get good books for Christmas? I was given Hilary Mantel's 'Wolf Hall' and can hardly stop reading it. It's every bit as good, IMO, as the reviews say. I also got Katrina Porteous' long sequence 'Dunstanburgh' which uses chants, dialects and the sounds of words and nature - wonderful. I gave my husband a book by John Grant called 'Discarded Science: Ideas that seemed good at the time' and 'Truckerson' by a certain John Griffiths Very Happy He's enjoying both and I've got my eye on them. I've been given a book voucher too and think I might go for a new book, just out, an anthology of poems about birds, edited by Simon Armitage.
Carol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, an author that I love and surprisingly about football. And Best Served Cold by Joe Ambercrombie, an author I've just discovered who does dark fantasy.

And a World Cup Treasures book which has facts and figures from every World Cup and copies of tickets and posters and stuff.
flirtybee
Co-Admin, Joyful Master of Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading 'The thing around your neck' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (courtesy of my secret santa on slingy) and itching to get back to Donnas copy of 'Under the dome'. Sadly, she retrieved it ... so I gotta wait to finish it.

The increase of disorder or entropy is what distinguishes the past from the future, giving a direction to time - Stephen Hawking
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ask for autobiographies for Christmas and read them during the holidays. I've read Jo Brand's, Jack Dee's and am now reading Alan Davies. (Not strictly an autobiography.) As you can tell I love a stand up.
Yesterday I bought Sara Water's new offering because it was half price in Smiffs. I've read all her books and can't really work out why because I don't find them that great.
Just looked at the Waterstones top 100 books list and found to my shame that I've only read 27. Mind you I'm not going to start reading Lord of the rings now anyway.
Happy new year!
Russel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope the hubby likes 'Truckerson' --- the more serious-minded among us don't, I'm afraid ... it's now available as an e-book, with samples, on smashwords.com for anyone who wants to take a look.

JohnG
Steffi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2011

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got On Chesil Beach from my Secret Santa on Slingy, and found it thoroughly depressing I'm afraid.

Sadly, I also got Twilight from a well meaning friend who knows I like to read and haven't read that... unfortunately she seems to have blanked out my rather vocal reasons for not reading it, and now I'm going to feel obliged to at least give it a go... Vampires should not sparkle.

I am currently listening to Under The Dome as an audiobook, and loving it. As usual, King has presented us with characters we care about, and characters we love to hate. A perfect draw!

And last night I started reading The Time-Traveller's Wife, which was one of those books I thought I should read, because everyone raves about it. The beginning was interesting enough, so we'll see how I go...

Visit my blog: Little Things
fall guy
TWI Fiction Writer of the Year 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sister bought me My Name is Charles Saatchi and I'm an Artholic which is a kind of very bitty interview book. it's quite readable, i read it in a day or two, but it is not a book to read if you want to find out anything at all about contemporary art. it does give you an idea of the enthusiasm of a collector, though.

my wife - coincidentally - bought me a danish book, Mikkel Bolt's Avantgardens selvmord (The Suicide of the Avantgarde) which seems to be an attack on contemporary art.

my wife also bought me The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Biocameral Mind by Julian Jaynes (thanks dear).
Russel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Time Traveller's Wife' still haunts me ... after many years. Just something about it .... not everyone likes it though ...
Missy
Minisaga Mistress & Flashmeister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffi wrote:
I got On Chesil Beach from my Secret Santa on Slingy, and found it thoroughly depressing I'm afraid.

And last night I started reading The Time-Traveller's Wife, which was one of those books I thought I should read, because everyone raves about it. The beginning was interesting enough, so we'll see how I go...

I flipping loved On Chesil Beach! It wasn't me who sent it because I forgot to go in the Slingy thing this year. It is quite depressing but it blew me away.
I also loved The Time Travelers Wife. For different reasons. Great story.
chungle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given 'Siddhartha' by Herman Hesse. Enjoyed it thoroughly. So much, in fact, that I'll probably start reading it again tonight.
Effie
TWI Forum Member of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a lot of books this year -

and so far I have read -

Craig Revel Horwood
Len Goodman
3 Jill Mansells

still to read -

Robin Hobbs book from secret santa
Parky
A book by Richard Madeley on 4 generations of sons
An Ali Smith - Hotel something or other
An Al Kennedy
John Barrowman - both of them
Joyce Grenfell
Jojo Moyes
Dorothy Koomson
Kim Woodburn
Savage Garden
The Book Thief
Sharon Osborne
Stephen King - Sunset something or other
...and many more

currently reading (because we are now twitter friends and he talks to me and I haven't read any of his books -) Ian Rankin, Strip Jack.

I've avoided crime books for some years because I can usually pick flaws in them and it makes for unpleasant reading - but so far, he seems to have it right. My mission is to find something ...
delph_ambi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can keep the Kim Woodburn, but two John Barrowmans sounds like fun.

My Christmas books:

Sylvia Plath's 'Ariel and other poems' (fabulous)
Paul …luard's 'La Vie immťdiate' (inspirational)
...and a 'useful' book showing me how to conjugate every French verb Shocked
Steffi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to report that I loved The Time Traveller's Wife and hated Twilight, as expected Cool

Visit my blog: Little Things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: