The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OTT Magazine 2018

View previous topic :: View next topic  
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: OTT Magazine 2018 Reply with quote

Another poem was picked up by Lisa at One Thousand Trees magazine, April issue, for online publication. I have been keeping track on a former thread, about 10 pages back, when I first hit double digits for writing credits. At the time, not even knowing what that was, I have since played the tortoise game; slowly sending, accumulating, building up my numbers, with hopes of reaching 50 by age 50, which didn't happen. Now the goal is to keep ahead of my age ... this poem makes #57 total writing credits (not just with OTT) so am slightly ahead of the mark now.

The poem included in the April issue was written for the prompt "solar eclipse" in the January 29, 2018 Monday Flash. Normally my turnaround isn't that quick, and I go hunting in my archives to match whatever theme she lines up a year at a time. She must be a fan of Baryshnikov too. It is on page 14, alongside a photo of him on stage performing Brodsky/Baryshnikov, his tip of the hat to the Russian poet. As noted in my Flash poem entry, Baryshnikov performed this piece on his 70th birthday in Toronto.

Below are links to the Baryshnikov Arts Center in New York City, and to the One Thousand Trees magazine. She is always looking for input, either short stories like Bob Smith writes, or poems, or non-fiction theme-related essays up to 1000 words or so. She has a flexible format due to the online nature of the magazine, and has been publishing for at least 8 years now. The upcoming theme for May 2018 is found on page 15. She asks that all submissions be emailed by the 20th of each month, for consideration. My poem is on page 14. Lisa has done a lot of good with her platform, the magazine was just a tipping point. This is an unpaid publication, no subscription fee.

http://onethousandtrees.com/magazine.php

http://bacnyc.org/ (music, dance, theatre, all art forms have safe affordable practice and performance space at BAC)
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."
delph_ambi
Whittaker Fiction Winner 2009

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Francine! (Though your poem's on page 20, not 14)
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

Thanks, Cathy. I see what you mean. I was going by her Table of Contents, looking at the page numbers assigned by Lisa ... she must not count those intro pages.
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."
delph_ambi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going by what page my computer said I was on - which could be random. Wink
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: OTT - May 2018 issue Reply with quote

Two more poems in the May issue today (Table of Contents, pages 4 & 6). "Dignity in Upheaval" (a Monday Flash) and "Taut" (from April poem-a-day) are both from 2017. The theme for this month is "the power of telling our stories" so one poem addresses when you do, the other, when you don't.

I was surprised that Lisa accepted both poems, since she also published three other works. Normally, mine fill in gaps. At least now sitting at 59 credits.

https://www.onethousandtrees.com/magazine.php
delph_ambi

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's brilliant when you find an editor who genuinely likes your stuff, so you realise you're not a 'filler'! Congrats on the acceptances.
womble

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

W Razz

Read my top five story from the National newpaper's annual short story competition:
http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/short-story-a-day-for-decisiveness
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: xox Reply with quote

Thanks muchly. Each one is a thrill.
eric_never
TWI Poet of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Congrats Reply with quote

Congrats on the scores, FHL!

Have you ever tried subbing to The Antigonish Review? They are a big name journal in Canada that is friendly to non-famous writers. I’ve published about ten or twelve poems with them over the years, and have three forthcoming with them right now.

Best of luck,

e
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: can only try Reply with quote

Thanks, eric. Will send 3 or 4 options to them within the week. Can only try my best and hope not to crash and burn. I've heard of it but would never have assumed my work worthy of a literary journal/magazine. Might find a place in the mix, who knows.
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: another OTT credit Reply with quote

Dusting this thread off once again, to keep track easily. My poem 'Stripped' was accepted for the October issue of One Thousand Trees, which has a food (you are what you eat) theme. Writing credit no.62 (goal is to keep it ahead of my age). If I clear 100 in my lifetime, paid or unpaid, it's been well worth it. Rather than providing the OTT link again, here is the poem in its entirety:

STRIPPED

lower input
beware incoming threats
blow dust off old ideas of
collectibles, charge nothing
for front yard garage sale junk
get out of missile range
let it be another's wealth
a treasure to sink their ship
life preserver remains
just out of reach for most
busy boasting of showcases
bulging pockets of jingling coin
belonging to insurers of fate

slow food, slipknots of kindness
and community gardens thrive
step outside, reach into the earth
count yourself lucky to see a worm
close up on the sidewalk before
a spinning cycle crushes it
this is how to live like molasses

FHL - THU29MAR2018 (100 words) - written for the Monday Flash
Bob Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on continued success Francine. As Cathy said, it’s nice to find an editor who recognizes the quality of your work. Lisa published a story of mine monthly for over four years until I decided to focus on my blog where I publish a new one weekly. (No problems pleasing that editor!). Lisa does not seem to aim for the mass market but has identified an alternative niche which is why she chose the stories of mine she wanted to include in the collection she edited and we named it ‘Slices Of Life’. As your body of work expands, is something like that in your future?
Bob Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on continued success Francine. As Cathy said, it’s nice to find an editor who recognizes the quality of your work. Lisa published a story of mine monthly for over four years until I decided to focus on my blog where I publish a new one weekly. (No problems pleasing that editor!). Lisa does not seem to aim for the mass market but has identified an alternative niche which is why she chose the stories of mine she wanted to include in the collection she edited and we named it ‘Slices Of Life’. As your body of work expands, is something like that in your future?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Crowing Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: