The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Member Profiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhiggs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: My introduction Reply with quote

Forum moniker : lhiggs

What do you write? : Not much at the moment, have ideas for a book Ė mystery / thriller / crime (I hope)

What are your current writing goals? To get into regular writing habits and enjoy it!!

When and why did you start writing? About 12 months ago, did the OU course A174, but since ground to a halt. Iíve always wanted to write (since aged 8 years) but never got round to it.

What's your best piece of writing advice? Find some people to support and motivate you (I hope some of you will!!)

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? Not sure, the only luxuries I can think of are more like necessities Ö wine, chocolate, good company, a good book, a good filmÖ

What are your Top 5 Favourite:
Films : Jaws, Grease, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (1&2)
Books : The Book Thief, Captain Corelliís Mandolin, A Tale of Two Cities, The Stand,
Foods : Vegetarian Ė Chilli, baked potatoes, Staffordshire oatcakes with Cheshire cheese (?), home-made soup, cheesecake (all varieties)
Places? : Home, France, Biddulph Grange gardens, The Red Lion in Burslem (not because Robbie Williams lived there but because they have great gigs), Italy (not been yet though)

Which
a) animal : mouse (small, quiet & nervous)
b) plant : cactus (likes to be warm, can be a bit prickly!!)
c) piece of furniture : sofa (comfortable)
and
d) piece of clothing : pyjamas (again comfortable, for relaxing)
is most like you?
wallflowerstudio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: wallflowerstudio

What do you write? Topics of interest to gardeners and ecologically minded folk.

What are your current writing goals? I'd like to write short stories, and perhaps a novel.

When and why did you start writing? I started writing for many reasons, the main one being that I like sharing gardening information and eco-friendly tidbits, but I'd really like to delve a little deeper and write a work of fiction.

What's your best piece of writing advice?
I'm not qualified to offer writing advice to anyone at this stage of the game, but I would suggest that to be a writer, one should be a voracious reader.

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island?
I would take my favourite compac discs, (Steely Dan & Miles Davis), a laptop computer, and a yacht.

Films:
Casablanca
Breakfast At Tiffany's
The Party
A Fish Called Wanda
The Sound Of Music

Books:
The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
Nineteen Eighty-Four
A Moveable Feast
Pride and Predjudice
Brave New World

Foods:
Seafood
Fresh veggies
Grilled Cheese
Pasta

Places:
France, Italy, India, Spain, and Morocco.

Which
a) animal - Sloth
b) plant - Sweet William (Dianthus barbatus)
c) piece of furniture - Antique dresser.
d) piece of clothing is most like you? A smock with big buttons and lots of pockets.

Poetry and fiction
Blog Photo blog
Professional website
Magari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: Magari

Student

What do you write?:
Unfinished stuff. Wink

What are your current writing goals?: To complete a story and be proud of it.

When and why did you start writing?:

I always loved reading since I can remember. I was that little girl with a book and a flashlight under the covers after bedtime. Then, when I was a hormonal 13 year-old I started blogging around the same time I started frequenting fanfiction websites. It was a recipe for awful poetry and short stories.

What's your best piece of writing advice?:

Donít worry if it sucks the first time, you can always make it better. But you canít do anything if you havenít written it down in the first place. (This is also the one piece of advice I have the hardest time listening to.)

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island?:

E-reader device and my golden retriever. I know thatís only two, but I really donít need anything else. Maybe a pina colada.

What are your Top 5 Favourite: (I donít know about five, but these are my favorite things)

Films: P.S. I Love You
Books: Harry Potters 1, 2, 6, and 7, the Hobbit
Foods: Garlic bread, vanilla ice cream, cheddar cheese, Reuben sandwiches, rosemary roasted red potatoes
Places: Italy, San Diego, the Pacific Northwest, Disneyland, and just about any museum.

Which
a) animal:
Iíve been told Iím like a cat.
b) plant: Weeping willow tree. (I know, I knowÖ Iím so clichť.)
c) piece of furniture: Futon
and d) piece of clothing: Skinny jeans
is most like you?

I'm so excited to be in TWI. Hope to see you all around Smile
F.H.Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker = F.H.Lee (my normal signature, nothing cryptic!)
Real name = Francine Heather Maria (Morello) Lee
Age = born FRI27NOV1964 @ 16:22h
Occupation = lapsed tourism co-ordinator
Location = Oxford County, Ontario, Canada

What do you write? creative non-fic intriguing but usually poetry or fiction; flash fic new to me per Nov2011 "how to make yourself write" workshop

What are your current writing goals? daily writing, weekly subs, 1 writing credit per month, enter contests, etc.

When and why did you start writing? age 8, wrote stories for my sister to read to her ECE kids during her college years (one about a cuckoo clock?) - she won a high school grad year creative writing award which I won 10yrs later - dabbled at various projects, submitted a few (with 9 writing credits, 4 paid) - 1st poetry memory = Desiderata framed on my neighbour's wall - 1st fiction memory = Dad reading Thornton W. Burgess forest creature books nightly

What's your best piece of writing advice? "A story is not complete until it is read by others." Write, rewrite, submit; that's how you get published. Structured time, consistent disciplined writing is paramount. (per Hemingway)

a Bodum french press, dark roast coffee ... and James Purefoy !

What are your Favourite:

Films = Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Doctor Zhivago, Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Edward Scissorhands, Scent of a Woman, Godfather II, Silence.

Books
Fiction: To Kill A Mockingbird, King Lear, Hemingway's 49 short stories (1938), East of Eden (Lee & Samuel!), Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Poetry: Keats, Dickinson, Poe, Dylan Thomas, Wendell Berry
CanLit: Alice Munro (short stories), Margaret Laurence (The Stone Angel)
Non-fiction: Pope Francis: The Name of God is Mercy, Last Child In The Woods, The Nature Principle (both by Richard Louv)

Foods = Italian risotto, zucchini frittata, peperonata, fresh pasta, my own harvest "peasant" soup (minestrone-style)

Places = Milan, Germany's Black Forest, Kentucky, Laguna Beach, PVR, Jamaica, Emerald Lake (BC), Canada's National and Provincial Parks

Which is most like you?
a) animal = badger or short-eared owl
b) plant = begonia - prefers shade, long-lasting colourful blooms
c) piece of furniture = beanbag chair (informal, happy on the floor)
d) piece of clothing = wool hiking socks

Off-Road Info: good at lots, great at nothing - crave diversity in music, art, books - allergic to animals, scent, smoke, cabin fever - worked since age 14 but studied Tourism (job for 11yrs = hosted tourists from German-speaking countries on inbound corporate incentive tours, study tours, standard bus tours), moving from a small town to Toronto for college/job (83-96) then to Calgary(97-2005), back now full circle - 4th of 4 girls, we live simply... use what we have, share what we can, buy what we need

Hoping to absorb much & refine my words into a meaningful legacy. Spent decades inhaling stories & experience, so now it's time to exhale! Thanks for the encouragement to participate in this wonderful forum of writers.
"Now I want Spirits to enforce, art to enchant, And my ending is despair, Unless I be relieved by prayer, Which pierces so that it assaults Mercy itself and frees all faults. As you from crimes would pardon'd be, Let your indulgence set me free."

Last edited by F.H.Lee on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:18 pm; edited 22 times in total
HauntedWaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker
HauntedWaters

Real name
Susan Warren Utley

Occupation
Editor at Haunted Waters Press

What do you write?
Short stories, flash fiction and poetry. I have dabbled in novels, but they are mostly unfinished.

What are your current writing goals?
1) To finish one of the five novels I have attempted. Why just one? Because it is the only one worth finishing.
2) To write more poetry.
3) To publish a short story anthology.

When and why did you start writing?
I was about eight when I wrote my first short story about my encounters with two houseflies, Charlie and Freckles. The next two stories were about my closest friends, an invisible cat and a giant turtle who lived in the basement. I guess I was a lonely child.

What's your best piece of writing advice?
If you want to be a writer, then live the writing life. Write daily. Carry a journal with you. Claim a writing space in your home or office and use it. When people ask you what you do, tell them you are a writer. If you want to be a published writer, then submit.

A journal, my eyeglasses, and Lucy.

Films: Oh goodness. In no particular order and not necessarily the top five: A River Runs Through It, Braveheart, Sleepless in Seattle, Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan. Oh, and Meet Joe Black. That's six.
Books : Again, in no particular order and not necessarily the top five: A River Runs Through It, Hannah and the Mountain, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Good Man is Hard to Find, The Giving Tree. Oh, and anything by Stephen King. That's six.
Foods: Oysters, Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Pepsi, Chips. Oh, and butter.
Places? Seattle, Portland, Kona, my parent's home, any beach on any body of water, preferably one with a long dock.

Which
a) animal - Cat.
b) plant - A Christmas Tree. (I make a public appearance about once a year.)
c) piece of furniture - A sheet of plywood on two sawhorses.
and d) piece of clothing - An old sweatshirt.
is most like you?

Susan
http://www.hauntedwaterspress.com
Anita

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum moniker: Anita

What do you write? Astrology interpretations. I need to put out an ebook of my observations in a niche area in Astrology. Poetry. Fiction. Human interest stories, book reviews, some investigative news. Other online content as I am hired.

What are your current writing goals? To compile a book from my observations and publish it on Smashwords. I don't care how long the book is as long as the content is delivery smoothly.

When and why did you start writing? I started writing before I knew how to write. When I was little and my Mom was getting ready for work in the morning I would sit on her bed and write scribbles on a pad of paper like I was reporting what I was seeing. I don't know why I did that but it felt really important for me to do at the time.

What's your best piece of writing advice? There's no such thing as going to far: http://boingboing.net/2012/04/13/how-to-sharpen-pencils-a-prac.html

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? A flint and striker set, my Swiss Army knife and rope (you can build a lot with trees but you can't make rope)

Films: Cairo Time, Atlantis by Luc Besson, Days of Heaven, Liar's Moon, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension
Director: Luc Besson
Cinematographer: Luc Montpellier

Books: Astrology - Dane Rudhyar, Fiction - Frank Herbert, Poetry - ee cummings
Foods: Thai, Japanese, Indian, anything vegetarian
Places? near water, Northern Ontario, further Northern Ontario

Which
a) animal - Border Collie (always needs a task)
b) plant - Pathos (you can water it twice a month at it still looks great)
c) piece of furniture - milk stool (use if for work, meditation, relaxation, and when there aren't enough chairs for the company that showed up)
and d) piece of clothing - steel toed work boots (hey, safety is important)
is most like you?
Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as the new biy I suppose I'd better have a crack at this:

Forum moniker: Geoff

What do you write? : Mostly short stories/flash, some poetry and have written 2 plays (not performed), 1 non-fiction book (Unpublished) and am still trying to get on with the novel (only 10k words so far)

What are your current writing goals? Primarily to amuse self and new granddaughter!

When and why did you start writing? At 13 when I fell in love and started with poetry

What's your best piece of writing advice? Work at it and edit like mad.

What three luxuries would you take with you to a desert island? Laptop with Skype, An endless supply of fine red wine, Joni Mitchell or Woody Allen

Films: (Impossible but:) Women in Love, Pan's Labrynth, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Manhattan, Edward Scissorhands

Books: (Again too few) Catch 22, The Grapes of Wrath, English Music, Stanley and his Women, Leila (Robert Pirsig)

Foods : Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, Curries, Strawberries and Cream, Kippers, Endless Wensleydale

Places? My Home, Yorkshire, Britain, Southern Italy, Catalonia

Which
a) animal - Meerkat
b) plant - Dandelion
c) piece of furniture - Coffee Table
and d) piece of clothing - Warm Dressing Gown
is most like you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Write Idea Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: