The Write Idea Forum Index The Write Idea
A forum for writers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The big "outage"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fnarr
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: The big "outage" Reply with quote

Sorry about that folks. The provider we were using had a server go down again and lost our site. The problem was compounded by the fact that they didn't enable the database properly on the rebuilt server, so I couldn't restore the backups Crying or Very sad

There are a few things that need tweaking with the new site - like the logo and some of the smilies, but I'll get round to that after I've had a sitdown. I've gone off computers at the moment!

We'll still keep the other site active and perhaps use that as a front page (to keep the url) and link to the forum here.

Apologies to everyone for the downtime - let's hope this new host is more reliable.
Helen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank Fnarr for getting the site back up and running.

Apart from spending a great deal of (ultimately wasted) effort hassling Fastband to sort out the original problem, he's also spent time and money setting up a new site for me with a different service provider, Namesco. They came personally recommended by several computer-savvy friends, so here's hoping our crashing days are over. *insert finger-crossing emote here*

It's taken Fnarr most of the day today to transfer the backed up database files across to the new URL, because the database can only cope with small packets at a time. Rolling Eyes

Guess I'll be on tea-making duty for the rest of my life.

I'm glad to see the logo is back, but it appears to have shrunk in the wash. Not sure what Fnarr has done to it. As I always say, you can't trust men to do the laundry.Wink

http://ryangoslingteachingassistant.blogspot.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Write Idea Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: